m10 back fires threw intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m10 back fires threw intake

so last week i put on a k&n style cone filter at the MAF (AFM) and for teh 1st 2-3 days ran great and sounded NICE, well the other day after work i goto start it up it had been sitting all day,and is at cold idle (1600) well if i tap the gas about 1/2 way i got a huge pop and now in teh morning after maybe 3 mins of warm up i goto give it gas and it blogs. I think my m10 is diying. Ive notied a leak under the headers (head gasket) and tonight it just revs funny. Time for a eng swap or go head gasket and put the stock box back?

Pull the valve cover and check all you rockers are fine, I had same issue with an m40 and it turned out the exhaust rocker popped off and in the process damaged the side of the cam lobe.

Just pull the valve cover first.
    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Popping through the intake means it's lean.
      Your fuel pump might be going out, or better yet, your fuel filter might be clogged.
      Replace the fuel filter then put a fuel pressure gauge after it and check the pressure you're getting at the rail.

Comment

thanks guys ill check that out today, yea i havnt got around to changing the fuel filter yet.. and i retarded the dizzy because of high idle, I only use 91 oct. gas i disconnected the biometric meter i think thats what its called, the lil black box on teh side of the stock air filter box. Should i advance teh dizzy a lil more and clean my icv?

Comment

so today i figurd id work on my car, well i did find out the ICV hose under it had a big rip, so i took it off ghetto fixed it and clean the insides of teh icv with intake cleaner. took off my air filter used some K&N cleaner and put it back, set the idle screw on teh icv and now the car runs good. still a loss of power cuz teh HG, and ways on friday i might do the timing with a timing light to get that right. Anyone know where the indecator on the crank pully is for TDC?

Comment

It's not, it's on the flywheel.

Comment

flywheel ugh shit , so its a two man job and i need to be at my work, that sucks lol or wait shit can i see teh flywheel from under?

Comment

TDC sensor? On an m10? nope it's inside of the distributor cap (sort of).

OP check your valves (adjustment? are they still there? etc)
                I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

havnt even peekd in the valve cover yet haha i know i know, but i have no idea how to ajust each valve or yea, so since i cant check it with a timing light hwo do i do so? just by ear? says on teh stick set idle at 800 / +50 , i have it at 850-900 now? butttttt if i advance the dizzy a lil and ajust the screw on teh intake to lower it will that stop my small back fire threw the muffler? and gain some top end power?

Comment

Dude, you need to make friends with mechanic.
                    I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

dude i work on cars but i know nothing about bmw's and this is a 84 m10, i just re did timing to day on a mr2 it was easy , all im asking is how to you get it on tdc, but i just figurd how nvm , , yes get the roter on plug 1 mark the crank and go from there got it, tahnks!

Comment

hey guy i have an '84 318i and their ARE markings on the crank shaft at the front. closest to the engine, you will "feel" a little notch on the pulley, its about the size of an annoying splinter in your finger, you'll need a flashlight but its def there. Now, locate your alternator adjust bar....see it? where it bolts to the car there is a tap or bar sticking out from the car, (about the width of a pen, and about 1.5inches in length) match the notch up with this, making sure the engine is on the compression stroke though,
                        ALSO !
                        there is a steel ball in the bellhousing of the Transmission used to determine TDC,
                        there is a window on the top of the Transmission (right near where the starter bolts to the transmission) have a friend turn the engine CLOCKWISE while looking in the window for the steel ball.
                        As far as positioning of the Distributor and Rotor (mine was removed) Im S.O.L. and still not 10% on that,
                        I know this post is old but i hope you've found it all out by now

Comment

Working...
                        X