shifting, reving way too high!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifting, reving way too high!

i have an automatic 1984 318i, today, after installing a new distributor i set the timing to factory specs, i also noticed my accelerator cable had a lot of slack, so i tightened that up. took the car out for a spin and have noticed it seems to be reving way to high before shifting and there are a couple of dead spots. The car is shifting at 60km/h and again at 80km/h and once the car hits 100 it just stays there and takes forever to climb.
    would advancing the timing help this out? i am happy with the feel of the accelerator pedal now, it just seems like its taking way too long to get through the gears.
    thanks for any help
    cheers
    Larry

sounds like your kickdown cable is too tight. Are you sure you tightened your throttle cable?
    -Andy

Comment

cable

i am almost positive. it was the lower of the 2 cables. i am almost certain i felt the tension difference in the gas pedal. let me know if i did the right one for peace of mind
      thanks

Comment

I'll check on an M10 car tomorrow
        -Andy

Comment

any luck?

just wondering if anyone has a pic of the assorted cables and which ones they are? looked in the bentley, hard to tell. there are 2 that are one above the other about an inch apart and one that goes to the same same place as the other 2 but is by itself and comes in from above.
          car still just reving and reving and then will finally shift when you think its about to blow up.
          cheers
          Larry

Comment

bump

bump

Comment

Working...
            X