AFM upgrades for the m10 engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFM upgrades for the m10 engine?

I have been reading lots about AFM swaps for the inline 6 motors but dont see anything for the m10 engines and i am wondering if there is a possible swap for my 318i

I don't know much about how the AFM works but i would assume the a 6cyl AFM would not work on a 4cyl car is that correct?
    With that being said do the old porsche 944s use a similar bosch injection system? those engines are 4cyl right? Is it possible something from one of those cars would work?
    Maybe a digi FI VW would have a AFM that flows better?

Anyone able to help me out with this?
    Thanks

You should be able to put one from an m20 or m30 as long as you transfer the electrical guts from your 318 afm. You will probably need to upgrade the fuel injectors as well. I didn't try changing the afm but found a good injector upgrade from the 2.0L 8v vw golf III (4 pintle) I think they are only about 1/2 LB larger than stock so no flooding problems.

Comment

Do you really think you have a better idea than BMW on something so simple and cheap?

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

+1. It would be a waste of time. AFM affects fuel, so there is no reason why an M10 would need more fuel that it's getting w/o forced induction. Just make sure it's injectors are clean, same with spark plugs/wires and distributor isn't worn out....
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by mcgrath View Post
          You should be able to put one from an m20 or m30 as long as you transfer the electrical guts from your 318 afm. You will probably need to upgrade the fuel injectors as well. I didn't try changing the afm but found a good injector upgrade from the 2.0L 8v vw golf III (4 pintle) I think they are only about 1/2 LB larger than stock so no flooding problems.

That sounds do-able but i dont know if i want to mess around with the electronics in these things, i was really hoping there would be a plug and play upgrade from some other car.
          I am actually already using the 19lb injectors from my mk3 2.0l engine and they made a big difference. I think the stock m10 injectors were 15lb, at least thats what i found on a couple websites

I am just trying to find cheap and easy mods to get more fuel and air into the motor and just by looking at the stock afm i know its a major bottle neck.
          maybe when i come across a couple spares i will try modding one to work

Comment

I suggest OBD1 m52.

(Woot, 13k post...)
            Last edited by Farbin Kaiber; 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X