engine problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine problems

Starting a few days ago, my battery has been draining.
    After i shut the car off, if i wait ten minutes or so, its dead.
    I jump start it, and it runs.

I checked my alternator, its good.
    Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the problem?

my new car also has acceleration problems. and is almost impossible to drive when cold.

It takes around eight minutes or so to warm up.

any help?
    I want it to be my daily driver.

Here's a start: put an ammeter in series with your battery with the ignition off/key out/doors closed. Start pulling fuses until the current draw decreases. Report back with which fuses did what.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
      Here's a start: put an ammeter in series with your battery with the ignition off/key out/doors closed. Start pulling fuses until the current draw decreases. Report back with which fuses did what.
      Ok i will do that asap.
      My friend has to come over with his voltmeter.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
        What engine is that in your sig?

Comment

I would have to say that the problems with the battery dieing and the cold drivability may not be related. How old is your battery and how many times has it been drawn down to dead? I would also do what Wh33lhop is describing, you may have something that is slowly draining your battery. I've had many cold running issues with the M10 318i. Alot of the problems are related to tune up stuff and intake leaks. Otherwise you could have some failure in the timing advance in the distributor. That was my personal experience at least.

Comment

Its a 3 month old battery, and its pulling 14v constantly. battery dies real quick. but if i unhook my radio it only pulls about 4v.
            this is with everything off.

Comment

Your battery may be not able to hold a charge anymore. I would try charging it up with a battery charger for a few hours, then leave it unhooked all night. The next morning try hooking it up to the car and see if it fires up. If it's dead after not being hooked up, then the battery is dead. If not then you do have a slow drain in the car. Also, you need to be checking amp draw and not voltage for the drain test.

Comment

I just charged my 2 week old battery on an overnight charger. When I took it off the charger it said 12.3V, when I checked it again 15 minutes later it said 12.15V. I'm taking it back tomorrow, even "new" batteries can have you chasing your tail.
                '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

i did check the amp draw.
                  it pulls when the alarm and radio are hooked up only.

Comment

Originally posted by simbas_e30 View Post
                    i did check the amp draw.
                    it pulls when the alarm and radio are hooked up only.
                    seems normal. what was the amperage it was pulling?

If it's still not holding a charge for a long time, it'd be time to get a new battery -- at least have it tested.
                    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

dude my alternator was shorting out to the fuel rail...i had almost the exact same problems as you l

i had to look under the wire loom to find where the short rubbed through...
                      there is a dumb ass wire that runs from the alt to the fuel rail back down to the started...i just deleted it and went str8 from the alt to the starter ...works fine now

oh yeah check the wire on the 02 sensor too...if its faulty it causes all kinds of hell!
                      bimmerboltsandparts.com

bring back the neeked broads!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by simbas_e30 View Post
                        Its a 3 month old battery, and its pulling 14v constantly. battery dies real quick. but if i unhook my radio it only pulls about 4v.
                        this is with everything off.
                        sorry, but i believe someone above mentioned an amp meter, not a voltage- meter,...., is it possible for you to hook an amp meter in series with your positive battery terminal with all accesories off, pls.
                        report back

Comment

Working...
                        X