Well, crap.... HG blown but isn't...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, crap.... HG blown but isn't...

The 40k miles gem of a car has coolant in the oil. When I pop off the valve cover, I see that there has been coolant in the oil for a long time....which is probably why the car was parked back in 2003 or 04 sometime.

I pull the head off tonight, and find a perfect condition headgasket, block doesn't appear to be cracked anywhere (head bolt holes), pistons look fine and are holding water (ring pack isn't blown up or missing that I can tell).

The head looks to be fine as well, headgasket left soem marks on the head, and based upon the HG looking like it should (not burned up, melted, or otherwise out of order) and the carbon on the head around the chambers, it's safe to say (IMHO) that the HG wasn't the problem.

The motor is/was full of water, timing chain adjuster was holding plenty of it where the chain guide is.

My first concern is there is a crack or other major failure somewhere in the motor (cracked head perhaps?)

Even if the head is cracked, based upon the amount of water/milkshake I can see, I'm wondering if the bottom end/bearings are any good.

The guy I bought the car from did change the oil, drain the fuel/replace filters, and get it to run (not well), but there was water in the oil he said when I bought the car. My intentions were to replace the HG, and drive it :)

Now I'm having second thoughts about putting any money in the current motor at all. Seems like a M30 swap could be done for 1k or less (as I can find them for $100 all day long nearby). I hate to start modding a minty/cherry e30, and that wasn't the point of the purchase either.....but at this point I'm not sure dropping 1K into rebuilding a M10 is worth it.

Ideas, thoughts, and ramblings are all welcome, especially if there is a common problem that I'm overlooking with the water in oil situation....

-Theo

part/scrap the m10 and swap it. you'll be more effective with your dollar.
    My feedback:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
    @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Just put an M30 in there.

If it was an M20 I could understand fixing it, but an m10? Meh.

Comment

Guys, don't forget: he cannot easily relocate the battery.

24V or M30 would suck dick to have to keep the stock battery location up front.

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Going to drop the head off today to have pressure tested/cleaned...see what the heck is going on....

Comment

Upon closer inspection....head is cracked.

Comment

I've got someone in McDonough interested in my M10. If he bails you can buy it. I'm pulling it out next weekend if you can wait that long. It runs great, doesn't leak and you can see it running in my car. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

Yet another thing holding me back.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post

It's actually not that tough or pricey to do. He can go to pull-a-part and grab the cable and terminal block. Then buy or make a battery tray and mount it in the right rear corner or front center of the trunk. He'll have to get a hole saw so the cable can go through the firewall.

Comment

Working...
                  X