1984 318i issue's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 318i issue's

i have a 1984 318i i received the car from a guy who let his kid change the oil, ran it w/out putting oil back in and seized the engine...bought a "new" engine for it, as well as a distributor, rotor, idle control valve, fuel pump (internal/external), fuel filter, starter, fan belts, and fuel pressure regulator.
    k, so the Haynes/Chilton manuals go through test to run if your having problems with your car starting. ive already tested the fuel pumps, spark plugs, starter, and ignition coil, ignition control module, injection control module, fuel pump relay, throttle control (side on throttle butterfly), ecu, fuel injector resistance, and performed a continuity test based on a schematic wiring diagram i found specific to my car (ill upload later when i get a chance). ALL TESTS PAST ACCORDING TO HAYNES/CHILTON'S SPECIFICATIONS. the continuity check i performed passed, so i know there are no kinks or breaks in the wires. I will be running all of the tests again today and tomorrow, just for another go around.

so far the only part on my car i am missing is to the left of the air intake assembly; the Barometric pressure sensor. now some people say that not having this part wont matter, and that my car should start/run without it, others say that its the reason it wont stay running.
    i was also using old gas in the car and a lot of people tried to say that was why it wouldn't stay running, but that doesn't seem possible to me.
    Now when i turn the ignition on my car, it will start for a quick second, and then immediately die. i was told this is due to the cold start injector, so i know that works.
    I have not performed a gas pressure test yet; didnt think i would need to since i bought 2 new fuel pumps, a filter, and a fuel pressure regulator, and the car started from the cold start so i assume that would mean i have the right pressure.

But even though i don't have a timing light, i went through months of research to make sure i wasn't 180° off for TDC, so im pretty sure that's fine, the distributor alignment could be wrong though.

The really weird thing is that when i start the car, as i mentioned, it shuts off....however, a few times i would try to start it while holding the pedal to the floor, or after it would start, id try to push down on the pedal, but the engine never revved!? The RPM needle didn't even move, and the engine didn't even "sense" that i was pushing down on the pedal. i checked the Throttle Position Sensor and it passed, and i checked my throttle cable and its connected and moves when i push down on the gas pedal?

I would check the timing again, I have an inductive timing light that I never use on my 318, I just do it by ear. The other thing I would check is the L-jet system to make sure that it is all plugged in and that it is working properly. I would go ahead and get that barometric meter too cause, I dont care what a lot of these guys say, they either have swaps or a build ass m10 so they probably run a lot of stuff that you dont. If you need anything, PM and I will help best I can. I have been through my whole m10 and know it inside and out.

Comment

IT LIVES!
      Got it to start, run, and idle over the weekend...i had previously tested the resistance and voltage going to the injectors and they were good, but it was due to the injectors being old and prob gummed up with the old fuel; not allowing the fuel into the engine, THANKS EVERYONE.

Stage 2: Brakes, possibly rotors, control arms, bushings, tie rods, Ball Joints, brake lines, Clutch

Comment

Working...
      X