Temp gauge or sensor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp gauge or sensor?

Alright guys so the temp gauge is always in the red section no matter what! Even when it has sat overnight and I go in the morning to start it. I cleaned where the sensor sits fixed it for a day or two and it's back. Tried cleaning again but to no succes. Got any ideas people?
    Originally posted by TimKninja
    Racelands are cheap shit.
    Originally posted by whodwho
    So are r3v members
    Originally posted by Cabriolet
    dude, this is R3v. there's like 40 project threads, and like 20 FS threads and 100 members ride threads of stupid shit. guaranteed laughs on every page. cut springs, rolled cars at 20mph, fishtank heater core, selling broken stuff, painting cars with paint brush, cheap wings, hella-flush and then there is Vlad, king of the eta M3

here are my values for the temp sensor:

Degrees F | Ohms
    32F | 5720
    67F | 2370
    212F | 186

Check that. if it's far off when you test it, or you have damn near zero resistance, it's probably failed. That or there's another short.

the problem with this circuit is that it's just resistance -- if you have a short in the wiring, it's going to read HOT. obviously it's not hot when you first start it up.

I believe this was for the ECU temp sensor, not entirely sure if the values are the same for the cluster. What I would guess is either the wiring or the sensor itself.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

I swapped the m10 into the e30, used to have an m20. They are both 85's and don't know if this would mess up the wiring because when I cleaned where the sensor bolts to it fixed it but then went back. Is the m20 temp sensor the same?
      Originally posted by TimKninja
      Racelands are cheap shit.
      Originally posted by whodwho
      So are r3v members
      Originally posted by Cabriolet
      dude, this is R3v. there's like 40 project threads, and like 20 FS threads and 100 members ride threads of stupid shit. guaranteed laughs on every page. cut springs, rolled cars at 20mph, fishtank heater core, selling broken stuff, painting cars with paint brush, cheap wings, hella-flush and then there is Vlad, king of the eta M3

Comment

Working...
      X