1984 318i m10 valve adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 318i m10 valve adjust

Can I get some help please it shouldn't be hard to answer.
    I want to do a valve adjustment.
    How important is it that I do it warm or cold?
    When I start on first cylinder 1-3-4-2 start by putting at top dead center (Tdc)
    Then check clearance number 1. Then rotate timing mark 180 degrees to do next cylinder 3.
    Then rotate 180 degrees again to do cylinder 4?
    By now i've rotated it to top dead center again.
    So I wonder from the beginning can't I just check and adjust cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time because I think they are both at Tdc?
    I don't want to rotate 180 degrees everytime I move on to the next cylinder.

Also has anyone seafoamed there 318i successfully with no bad side affects?
    I wonder if it reduce the life of your engine. It may make it run better temporarily but how does the long term look like using it.
    If I do use it you take the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and let it suck the seafoam 1/3 of it slowly and let it soak by turning car off and them running it again after 20 mins?

Originally posted by BMW M-Phan View Post
    Can I get some help please it shouldn't be hard to answer.
    I want to do a valve adjustment.
    How important is it that I do it warm or cold?
    When I start on first cylinder 1-3-4-2 start by putting at top dead center (Tdc)
    Then check clearance number 1. Then rotate timing mark 180 degrees to do next cylinder 3.
    Then rotate 180 degrees again to do cylinder 4?
    By now i've rotated it to top dead center again.
    So I wonder from the beginning can't I just check and adjust cylinders 1 and 4 at the same time because I think they are both at Tdc?
    I don't want to rotate 180 degrees everytime I move on to the next cylinder.

Also has anyone seafoamed there 318i successfully with no bad side affects?
    I wonder if it reduce the life of your engine. It may make it run better temporarily but how does the long term look like using it.
    If I do use it you take the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and let it suck the seafoam 1/3 of it slowly and let it soak by turning car off and them running it again after 20 mins?
    By the way how much does it cost usually to have a mechanic do it now a day?

Comment

Is there any harm in leaving the seafoam in your oil?

Comment

About the seafoam question I don't know. For the valves it is better to do it hot. To adjust them all you do is make sure that the back side of the lode is against the rocker, i.e. the lobe of the cam will be 180 from the rocker arm. Then you adjust from that position in the same way as the firing order, 1-3-4-2.
        sigpic
        85 swartz/metallic 325E
        84 alpine 325E
        85 zinnoberot 318i/R.I.P
        84 Bronzit 318i/sold
        purchase feed back here=http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...82#post3535282

Comment

I always adjust valves when the motor is dead cold. (i.e. after the car has sat overnight)

2002 FAQ has a great writeup below.
          http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/21/33/

Comment

From what I have read, Seafoam will break down the molecular bond in oils, thus thinning it out. I have used it in my intake, fuel, and oil, and no negatives. But when you put it in your oil, do it at the end of your oil life cycle, that way you can change it out soon anyways with fresh stuff.
            85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Thanks for the help guys really apreciated!

Comment

Yeah no problem, did you ever get it fixed?
                sigpic
                85 swartz/metallic 325E
                84 alpine 325E
                85 zinnoberot 318i/R.I.P
                84 Bronzit 318i/sold
                purchase feed back here=http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...82#post3535282

Comment

seafoamed the m10 like 2 days ago works great imo. put it in the fuel, crankcase, & vacuum line. my m10 guru told my to use castrol gtx 10w-40. both together = awesome. seafoaming before the oil change got every drip of old oil out, calmed down my idle & my powerband is a lot smother.

fyi i have seafoamed before with some castrol 10w-30 high mileage & im happier with what i have now.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                  DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

So here's a noob question... what is seafoam? It sounds like a super cleaner of sorts. Where does one pick up this "Seafoam"?

Comment

One picks up this so called "Seafoam" at your local parts retailer (Autozone is where I get it) It's in a white metal bottle usually close to the injector cleaner stuff. It's about $13 I think
                      85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                        I always adjust valves when the motor is dead cold. (i.e. after the car has sat overnight)

2002 FAQ has a great writeup below.
                        http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/21/33/
                        ^^way more accurate. when you adjust warm...you can't do it fast enough to maintain the same temp, thus slightly different clearances on all valves.

Comment

Working...
                        X