questions on old post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions on old post

this is what the poster said , "slap a e30 318i head on a 2002 block, put a GOOD ems on it, and a 304 schrick cam, and you can make 170 hp (and it wasnt even tuned good) it could probably make 180 or more if we took the time to finish tuning it"

i had a couple questions about this,

first, what is a ems, what is a good ems

second, how much can you do to the head and still keep it reliable and road worthy, other then the cam

third, what is the benifit the the 2002 block? stronger?

and last, what dose the numbers on the cam mean

ems= engine management system. Controlling the fuel and spark by means different than the original engine software. Megasquirt is an example and not for the faint hearted.

cam numbers are measured in duration and usually sacrifice some streetability in exchange for more powa in a certain (usually higher) rev band.

Comment

Oh and here is a na m10 built to ~240hp Ridiculous money involved though

Comment

Originally posted by mason6556 View Post
        third, what is the benifit the the 2002 block? stronger?
        Most people with the m10 that are looking for more power from it are in a 2002. The 2002 block is 2.0L, the 318i block is 1.8L. People say that the block is heavier, usually, weight means strength, although I have no proof of this strength theory
        Last edited by Hey_You; 10-01-2011, 06:14 PM.
        85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

the same poster said this about the car latter

In the 170 hp M10 that i was talking about, it has a STOCK (rebuilt) 2002 bottom end, and a polished E30 318i head, custom exhaust header and a Schrick 304 cam using an EFI Technologys Euro 1 ecu....it never got fully tuned (its just sitting on a stand at our shop) but it could probably make 180-190 hp.

i really want to get to about 200 but i want it to be as practical as posable ( dd and still be able to drive 4 ppl without problem ) that is my goal a bit of a road racer.

Comment

i think i did read something about the weight difference between the 2.0 and the 1.8 and the 2.0 dose weigh more but with the 2.0 block i will have to get differnt pistons right?

Comment

Well, It depends on how you plan to go about it. If you have the 2.0L block, then you will want the 2.0L crank, and 2.0L pistons to keep it 2.0L and make it work (1.8L blocks share rods with the 2.0L block) You can always throw the crank and pistons in your 1.8L block and do it that way, it will work fine.
              On a side note, I am about 95% sure that NA m10 making 200hp will not be the best street driver.

Comment

why wont a 200hp m10 be a very streetable

Comment

An NA m10 will have to rev real high to make that 180+ hp. Probably around 7.5k-8k rpm's. It won't make power down low, as is the m10 doesn't like to move below 3k rpm, a 200hp m10 probably wouldn't make power until 5-6k

Comment

is there no way to give it more lower end power? what if i did a like 160 could i imporve the low end cause honestly i really want to be good in the turns and on hills so more lower end is what i need

Comment

For 200hp, you're probably better off looking at a turbo depending on your budget and needs.

Comment

well a big side note most ppl on here is recomending MS is there a better or more efficant EMS

Comment

Not in the same pricing league. Expect to pay more on the EMS (not MS) than you did on the car (most likely)

Comment

wow no thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X