Intake Manifold Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Manifold Removal?

I need to replace my throttle body and delete my IACV. Seeing as the throttle body is beneath the intake manifold I was wondering if it would be easier to just remove the intake manifold? Or atleast not much more hassle. I would like to clean up my intake manifold while im in there. Anybody have a guide on removing it

beer helps when your searching for on of the 12 nuts hiding under there...take your time.
    its very straightforward...may not be the easiest to see all the nuts, or the oil return tube may be a pita, but ive done it at least 3 times

once with eng. removed, once to spaw in my notched and polished intake
    once to fix bad gasket that i blew

re-install is the same, with the exception to use a string or hanger to keep the oil return tube down while installing the plenum and resetting the gasket is critical to align correctly..i have seen more then one installed upside down.

while your doing that, i would recomend to port match your new gasket too..might gain a hp, or at least gain a better air flow.
    Last edited by idanity; 07-26-2012, 09:40 AM.
    3 pedal club
    200,k+ club
    cabrio club
    port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and tackle this later. I probably wont worry with port matching anything since I have an M50 swap waiting to go in in the near future

Comment

its really easy.
        take the old gasket, and where the outline of your ports are, you will see a visibly outline of what was un-necessary, and the gasket is a choke point, just an extra half inch of cardboard preventing air passage.

cut that part out with a razor, and use that as your template...then viola, your new gasket will mate up perfectly without any overhang...
        3 pedal club
        200,k+ club
        cabrio club
        port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

ah I see I thought you meant porting the intake manifold lol! Yeah ill definitely match the gasket! Thanks for the tip

Comment

I think I'd rather punch myself in the face than remove the intake manifold. I'd rather just do the throttle body.

Comment

It's not too difficult to remove the manifold. Saying that, it helps to have some long extensions, universals, and offset wrenches. On a side note, I would only remove it if I had the head off if I had to do it again. So much easier that way
              85' 318i ~The Bronze Bomber (FrankenM10 with a Forced Future :wgaf:)

Comment

Working...
              X