What is this part and what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this part and what does it do?

Tried searching for an answer with no luck, so hopefully somebody can give me a quick answer to my question...

Recently picked up my 2nd e30, this one is a 84 318i. I am doing some lightening/simplifying on the car and I came across this small metal box.

I know I have seen something similar in the past, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it is or what it does...

Looking forward to an answer, and very happy to be an e30 owner again!

Thanks,

Josh

Never seen anything like that. If I had to guess. Mount for air box? Some how?

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
      Never seen anything like that. If I had to guess. Mount for air box? Some how?
      It didnt mount to the air box so I am sure it has nothing to do with that..but I will go to the garage and snap a few more pics of exactly where it mounts and such and post em right up. Thank you for the suggestion!

Comment

I'm thinking some one made it to mount like a filter.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
          I'm thinking some one made it to mount like a filter.
          it looks to be body colored, so it probably left the factory like that unless someone did a nice respray.
          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

OK so I am certain this is aftermarket and was added to the car no too long after it was purchased. I took pics of everything I saw when I dug deeper, I will post them up shortly!

Thanks

Josh

Comment

It was suggested on another forum that it could be aftermarket cruise control or alarm stuff. I think it was likely part of an alarm at some point.

Heres some more pics of this thing, definitely old.

Everything Removed:

This wire ran was running up the cruise control harness and capped, factory cruise control unit? :

Following red wire and black presumably ground wire...they were zip tied to a factory harness, at one point the wires were connected to a different set of two wires with butt connectors:

It disappeared under the brake booster, gave it a little tug and out came whats left of the wiring:

The internals of box:

Comment

Could have never guessed that.

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I think the mystery is solved, on another forum somebody suggested its a ghetto motion sensor for an alarm system. And looking it over in more detail, I'd have to agree!

Comment

i had the same in my 318i from PO. it was def an alarm piece
                    *1985 318i* STOCK

Comment

definitely a motion sensor from the mid 80s.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X