Down hill smoke and rough start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down hill smoke and rough start

This is what happens to my 2002tii, looking for advice from the gurus around here.

I want to take care of this problem but I don't know where to start. Also, the cabin gets very toxic at times and this prevents me from wanting to drive my car at all.

I would like to point out that I check the compression last week on all 4 cylinders and they all have 145psi. In addition, the valve cover has two screws at adjacent corners that are stripped. I know it's an old engine with maybe close to 300k miles but its still running strong. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    1990 325is Brillantrod
    1973 2002tii Verona
    sigpic

Is the downhill smoke when you're still in gear and compeltely off the throttle? I think that's an indicator of worn valve seals.

For the cabin smell, I would check your exhaust for leaks.

The studs are replaceable, and your valve cover needs a good seal otherwise your engine will run rough, and/or leak oil all over the motor, which could be getting on the exhaust and smoking up causing the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by thebutterson View Post
      Is the downhill smoke when you're still in gear and compeltely off the throttle? I think that's an indicator of worn valve seals.

For the cabin smell, I would check your exhaust for leaks.

The studs are replaceable, and your valve cover needs a good seal otherwise your engine will run rough, and/or leak oil all over the motor, which could be getting on the exhaust and smoking up causing the smell.
      Yes Sir, when in gear and completely off the throttle.
      1990 325is Brillantrod
      1973 2002tii Verona
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X