Timing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing....

okay. i rubilt my engine, well... almost. i forgot to mark off the crank and cam so im lost.
    i need help on lining them up so i can put on the timing chain. also, how woll i adjust my distributor. before i tooke the engine out i had some backfire and a little sputtering and the mechanic told me i should fix its timing.
    so what do i do? please help im stuck!

i have a haynes repair manual, ill check it tonight to see if it has that info
    I don't think your mom appreciates the value of those modifications

Comment

Line up the crank centerline, the crank keyway centerline, the cam centerline and the cam pin centerline. Make sure you have a straightedge and can visually make the imaginary line. Then it is at TDC cyl 1

Comment

well i dont have a clue as to what valve should be open and what line to line it up with

Comment

valves should be closed on number one

Originally posted by vlad
          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

okay, so how do you adjust the dizzy? do you just take off the cap or do you unbolt it? im dumb with my bmw since i never in my life had to deal with a dizzy before. all the cars ive worked with had edis.

sorry if im posting alot. im just tryna get this done...

hey joe... lemme know when you recieve it ;)

Comment

im going to tear down the motor i have this weekend. ill let you know what i find [distributor settings]

Do you have a timing gun or know how to work one??

I dont know if the moneys here but ill send the parts out asap

Comment

well i barely know how to use a timing light. my uncle has one and he used it on his old ford.

ive never really had to use one.

i just want to leanr how to advance and retard by feel and hearing. i havent taken the dizzy off so it shouldnt need to be adjusted that much huh? i want to know how do i adjust it? where?

Comment

loosen the bolt on the collar holding it to the back of the head and turn it. this is where knowing how to use a timing gun would come in handy. they are VERY simple to use, just look around on the internets and find a how-to.

Comment

lol collar??? im still lost. thanks though. i just need more specifaction. like what do i turn and where is the collar? when to turn how to turn wich way? im sorry to be a pest but i really apreciate this...! thanks

about the parts, ive added to the list so if you need me to send you a msg with everything to verify i will.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-11-2007, 08:09 AM.

Comment

i still need to find out the timing. how do i know the #1cyl is at TDC and where do i line up the crank?

Comment

IMO not a good idea to time by "feel" unless experience is in excess, which, in no offense, doesn't sound like it.
                        Any ways get this book, will help with your questions
                        the collar is what holds the distributor down to the block, should be one bolt holding this, then turn distributor to correct timing.
                        Get a timing light.

Comment

Working...
                        X