spark issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark issues

okay so i was driving and my car just stalled on me and never started again i kept trying to start it until the battery died.
    so now i've been troubleshooting it.
    i pulled out the sparkplugs while turning the key to see if theres any spark.
    and nothing.
    am i troubleshooting right?
    if i am and theres no spark where should i start.
    i'm kinda thinking its a ground somewhere.
    i checked all the fuses. and even bought a new ecu.
    any ideas?

check voltage at the coil.

It could also be a cap/rotor issue.

Comment

anyways so I unplugged my alternator and while i was doing that
      I pulled my air intake box off so i can get to the alternator easier while i did that i noticed in the tube there was gas.
      now im wondering how the EF did a puddle of gasoline get into my intake.
      any ideas?

and i tried jumping the car to see if my alternator was stealing electricity from the spark wires.
      nope didn't work still no spark.. any ideas..
      i also pulled of the distributor cap to see if anything is wrong
      well there was rust but i dunno if that could affect the spark..
      Last edited by e30bummer; 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Are you sure that it was gas in the air intake bellows (I guess that is what you are talking about)? I find a bit of oil in the bottom of the bellows when I take off the air flow meter. I think that this is normal. I don't think it is normal for there to be rust in your distributor. Check the rotor and the terminals on the inside of the cap for signs of erosion. How old are they? How old are the spark plug wires? What model is your car?

There should be a spark when you take the coil wire out of the distributor and put it near the chassis while someone is cranking the engine. A rather strong blue spark. If not, the problem could be in your coil.

Alan

Comment

I don't know if you would be interested, but I just bought a cap, rotor and wire set. All are high quality Bosch and new in boxes. I would give you a good price. Let me know.

Alan

Comment

I'm untreated in your cap and stuff if he isn't I get one tiny spark when I check then nothing

Comment

Interested in your cap and things I think it's in need of a new distributor

Comment

Working...
              X