battery draining??!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery draining??!!!!

lately my car is having problems with the battery system.
    something is draining my battery.
    i checked the alternator and its perfect.
    i have absolutely no clue what it could be
    any ideas?
    please help
    thanks

get a test light. turn off your car. keep pulling fuses until test light goes out. follow that
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

battery draining

check the bulbs in your instrument cluster. i can never remember which one it is, but if it is burnt out your alternator wont chrge the battery. jump in anyone who can elaborate on this, it was a long time ago.

Comment

My car has the same problem, just started a few days ago. =[
        Any help?
        Anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by simbas_e30 View Post
          My car has the same problem, just started a few days ago. =[
          Any help?
          Anybody?

I'm trying to figure out some draining issues as well

I started off with exciter circuit issues, D+ on the alternator was damaged from the cluster to the alternator. It goes from the battery positive to the cluster bulb(charge light) to D+ on the alternator. It kick-starts the alternator or something... Someone else can explain it better. Point is, if that isn't hooked up, the alternator won't start charging the battery(mine would kick on if the motor revved to about 3.5k. If your charge light does NOT come on when you put the ignition into position II(run, no crank), you need to replace the bulb or inspect this exciter circuit.(post 87s do not have this issue, and have a resistor inline with the bulb incase it burns out the battery will still charge). if the light DOES come on, you know your exciter circuit should be functioning correctly. Make sure that the alternator is producing adequate voltage to charge the battery.

If still have issues with the battery not holding charge, 1st off, make sure the battery is good. After that, test for parasitic drain/parasitic draw. Get a ammeter and remove one of the battery poles. With the car off and key out of ignition, doors closed, etc:

measure the amperage across the terminal. It should be less than 50ma. Mine was 200ma, and I figured out that the PO hooked up gauges to non-switched power. Unplugging those gauges dropped me down to 22ma. You can start pulling things in the fuse box while watching the ammeter -- When you see something drop significantly, find out what that fuse is for and inspect devices that are connected to it. Your problem will be there.

If it's more than that, sell the car. :p
          '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
          NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
          Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
            I'm trying to figure out some draining issues as well

I started off with exciter circuit issues, D+ on the alternator was damaged from the cluster to the alternator. It goes from the battery positive to the cluster bulb(charge light) to D+ on the alternator. It kick-starts the alternator or something... Someone else can explain it better. Point is, if that isn't hooked up, the alternator won't start charging the battery(mine would kick on if the motor revved to about 3.5k. If your charge light does NOT come on when you put the ignition into position II(run, no crank), you need to replace the bulb or inspect this exciter circuit.(post 87s do not have this issue, and have a resistor inline with the bulb incase it burns out the battery will still charge). if the light DOES come on, you know your exciter circuit should be functioning correctly. Make sure that the alternator is producing adequate voltage to charge the battery.

If still have issues with the battery not holding charge, 1st off, make sure the battery is good. After that, test for parasitic drain/parasitic draw. Get a ammeter and remove one of the battery poles. With the car off and key out of ignition, doors closed, etc:

measure the amperage across the terminal. It should be less than 50ma. Mine was 200ma, and I figured out that the PO hooked up gauges to non-switched power. Unplugging those gauges dropped me down to 22ma. You can start pulling things in the fuse box while watching the ammeter -- When you see something drop significantly, find out what that fuse is for and inspect devices that are connected to it. Your problem will be there.

If it's more than that, sell the car. :p
            hah. thanks =]
            I narrowed it down to the alarm system.
            there was a broken wire that was drawing too much power..
            had it rewired.
            its all better.

Comment

Working...
            X