Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Fuel Pressure / Flooding / Rich Running - FPR issue has me totally confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Fuel Pressure / Flooding / Rich Running - FPR issue has me totally confused

So i've had a flooding / rich running issue forever with my M20-swapped 1974 2002tii, and am trying to diagnose WTF is up with the fuel system.

THe plugs are instantly blackened and wet with fuel, and it's running terribly. It's obviously receiving too much fuel. I've installed a fuel pressure gauge in the supply line before the fuel rail, and here's what I get for fuel pressure:

1. Engine On, at idle: ~70psi
    2. Engine Off, fuel pump on (jumpered the relay): ~65psi (this should read 43.5PSI, with the M20B25 3.0Bar FPR)
    3. Engine Off, fuel pump off (no more jumper): ~40psi, tapering down slowly to 0 over a day or two

Alright, that's pointing to one of two things, right: either (A) the FPR sticking or otherwise malfunctioning, thus not releasing enough excess fuel into the return line to keep the fuel pressure at OEM levels, or (B) a restriction in the fuel return line itself such as rust or some kind of buildup.

The easy way to test for (B) is to unplug the fuel return line and cycle the fuel pump again, this time just catching the excess fuel in a jug through some extra tubing. This eliminates the possibility of a restriction in the fuel return line causing the problem. Doing so yields no difference at all - still ~65psi measured at the gauge. I've also blown out the return line for good measure with compressed air, and it all seems fine.

SO - the problem must be the FPR right? I bought a new FPR to test it out, and upon installing the new FPR, in the same conditions (both with and without the fuel return hose attached), I get the same results - 65PSI on the gauge with either FPR. Hmm.

Wondering what's up with that, I also decided to see if I can "bench test" both FPRs using pressure-regulated compressed air and see what happens. Not sure if this is a valid test since one is air and the other is fuel - but, if I dial up any amount of air over 45 PSI and introduce that to either the old or new FPR, the pressure will hold exactly at 43.5 PSI, as if they both are working just fine.

One would think that the FPR would work the same way regardless if it's got air or fuel under pressure, would it not? How come both FPRs seem to perform just fine with compressed air, regulating to 43.5PSI as expected, but as soon as they're connected to the car's fuel supply and pressurized (with or without a return line attached), they both malfunction and regulate to 65PSI?

Any ideas as to what's going on? Is there any potential cause of high fuel pressure in the system OTHER than the FPR and/or return line being clogged? Is my methodology flawed somehow? Do I just need to keep buying new FPRs and see if I can get one that works? Or, maybe try an adjustable FPR and see what happens....

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Kind of at my wits' end on this...

Sounds like two bad FPRs to me. Either that or somehow (and I think this is unlikely) you are compressing the vacuum reference line and it is making the regulator reference a higher than atmospheric pressure (with the engine off, and on I suppose).

Comment

Thanks JehTehsus. I played with it yesterday, sprayed a lot of pressurize fuel all over the garage, and was somehow able to unstick the original FPR - so i'm back to correct 3.0 bar of fuel pressure! Unfortunately, that didn't solve my main issue - the plugs are still immediately blackened and wet with unburnt fuel, and it's stuttering/misfiring a lot. Hmm.

I do have new injectors in there too, and they're not leaking. Also all new plugs, wires & distributor, and coil is getting the correct voltage - so not spark related.

There is some vacuum leakage through the valve cover, but I don't think that's enough to cause this much of a problem. Although, if I unplug the ICV while the engine is running, it has no impact on the idle RPM, which seems weird - it's apparently supposed to rise up to 1500rpm or so if the ICV is unplugged. I have checked the ICV itself and it checks out. I have what appears to be about 5PSI of vacuum at idle, based on reading when I unplugged the FPR vacuum reference line that you mentioned - doing so brings the fuel pressure about 5 PSI higher, which makes sense, but is a little on the low side.

I was able to drive the car around the block once, it stalled out along the way and was bucking severely. Not a happy car. A fair amount of oil smoke too, which i'm not happy about. It's been off the road for 12 months now, and I know I washed all the cylinders pretty badly with fuel trying to get this thing running again - so i'm hoping the burning oil is indicative of sticky piston rings and that they'll eventually unstick themselves.

Comment

Hey! Were you able to resolve your problem? I am experiencing something similar I believe, though I'm not sure entirely because I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to hook up right now. I am also running rich and have a bad idle and pretty much no acceleration. Have you tried unplugging the fuel pump relay while it's running? That smooths out my idle in my case which I thought was really weird. Same if I unplug the AFM. Idk what else to do lol

Comment

Mine did this exact thing after i changed a used fpr to cure a slight rich condition.fpr looked good disconnect vac line and felt richer mixture but then after valve train started to develop a knocking noise i discovered my plugs are super powder black covered and this caused intake valve to stuck open due to no lubrication (fuel or deposits made its way to the stem).
          Replace your fpr and save your engine and o2 sensor and a cat if you have one.
          And check the blue temp sensor but i believe that the blue sensor won't flood the engine like a bad fpr would do.

Comment

Working...
          X