Oil pressure and priming problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure and priming problems.

Hey all, I need some guidance. Everything bolted back in car and started on the pre start checklist. First of being priming oil pump. Installed drill and six mm socket. Removed power from fuel system and cranked on drill. 0 psi at guage. Removed oil filter and cranked again. Plenty of oil coming from block.
    removed the adapter for turbo oil feed and removed oil pressure sending unit. Verified gauge. Cranked drill again and have no oil coming from the m12 hole at all. What gives? Did I miss something?
    remote mount filter and cooler also if it make a diff

The cooler shouldn't open until the oil is at temp, unlikely to be an issue. If you leave the valve cover off, are you getting oil dripping from the head sprayer bar? That would tell you at the least if it is getting past the remote filter setup.

I have done a couple builds now, including my own, and on both we primed the pump using an electric hand drill (and a very janky 3-4ft of socket extensions) and in both cases pressure came up very quickly and noticably (well over 30 psi with the drill going fairly slow, IIRC). These senders are mounted at the factory oil pressure switch location, and in my case there is also a capped off tee for the turbo.

Comment

I'm getting a small amount of oil flowing up to the spray bar but getting zero pressure. I pulled the adapter and sending unit and they are bone dry. I have tried cranking the car over on its own with same result. Probably spent 20 min spinning the pump with a large dealt 1/2 drill. Still nada. Definitely confused at the moment

Comment

MAJOR UPDATE... So went through all the steps as described above and decided to start a process of elimination.
        1. Oil flowing from the block to filter using drill method.
        2. Filter fills with oil but won't push through.?
        3. Remove filter, have wife prime with drill. Change shirt due to abundance of oil that shot from filter housing.
        4. Scratch head and ponder wtf a filter would do to stop oil flow.
        5. Pull filter and replace with the Harley's filter.
        6. Prime again and see 75psi oil pressure on gauge and oil spray bar pushing oil through at a decent rate. Plenty of oil to turbo feed as well.

Am I completely blind? It does not appear that I have oil from block and the return swapped. The only thing I did was replace the oil filter.
        I swapped back to the Bosch one part # and again

Comment

0 flow

Comment

What filter should I be using and why does it make a difference?

Comment

With the remote filter mount, are you certain the lines aren't swapped? My understanding is most decent filters (like the bosch) have a reverse flow prevention valve. If the lines were swapped this could be the issue.

Comment

That brings up my next question. The oil should flow into center of filter and out around the edge or is that backwards?

Comment

Quick Google search shows from outside back through center. So yes the lines have been reversed! Learned something about oil filters as well
                  win win

Comment

Working...
                  X