Losing my mind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing my mind...

Hi everyone. I recently got back into a E30 ownership after 20 years, a '89 325is. The car has 30K on a fully rebuilt engine but I noticed the alternator belt had lost several teeth and was making noise so today I tackled the replacement.

Here's where it gets weird: Initially I had some difficulty getting the power steering belt off and decided to remove the bolt that holds the tensioner bracket itself hoping that would allow for more play. In the picture it's the top one in the triangle of red, upward facing arrows.

I finally got the belf off using a screw driver and subsequently fought the alternator belts for an hour until got back to reinstalling the power steering pump tensioner bracket. The only hex bolt I'd completely removed during the entire job was this 13mm hex bolt so naturally, I was surprised when I couldn't get it to thread back into the protruding hole. I tried this for a while with no luck and don't recall anyyhing remotely indicating that I stripoed the threads. So now am starting to question if this is the wrong bolt and could use help validating. I checked Realoem, couldn't find the bracket or bolt.

Can someone check has the same bolt specs listed on theirs? Or wrench it out quickly and compare the length?
    I'm at a loss here and can't mount my power steering pump properly without it so any help here is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Load this part number into RealOEM 07119913676. Track it to the diagram for your 89 325 the size is listed.

Comment

Thanks. Your part number is used in multiple locations, including the pump tensioner bracket. Size M8x35. If I plug the number into eBay, the pictures look identical, as well so how does it not thread back in?

Comment

OK, finally figured it out: the bolt goes through the bracket and the threads are behind the bracket. It was off by a couple millimeters not allowing the bolt all the way through. I ended up needing to get pushed towards the engine with a lever.

Lesson: don't remove any of these bolts completely during a belt change and figure out a different way to get difficult to remove belts off.

Comment

Working...
        X