Old style to new style coolant hose routing and fuel injector question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old style to new style coolant hose routing and fuel injector question

Anyone know how I can route the coolant hoses on my 91 newer style cooling system to work on my older style 87 swap engine? I really need to get this thing back on the road tonight or tomorrow afternoon if at ALL possible. Also, my 91 wiring harness has a plug at the end of the fuel injector wires where they all come together and a plug on the harness to plug them in. The 87 swap engine has the injector wires just wired right into the harness, no plug. Should I just switch over the individual fuel injector plugs from my engine to the old engine/injectors or do I have to swap the injectors too? Thanks.

you need the WHOLE cooling system, including the water pump

you don't need to swap injectors or rail for the rest
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Swap the harness, water pump, etc from you old engine to this one. Probably be a good idea to install a new (late model) water pump and I'd also replace the timing belt.

The 87 harness can be made to work, but doing so will require modification the harness and to wiring that's a part of the car. Better to just use the 91 harness.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ive already got the 91 harness all hooked up except for the injectors. My question with them is just if I need to only swap the wires that go to the injectors or the injectors as well. The 87 harness has the injector plugs wired right into it. My harness has the injectors plugs going into a main injector plug. Then that main plug plugs into the harness. I'm going to just switch over the injector plugs and I think it'll work. The 87 engine that's going into my car also has a new timing belt and water pump already. The only difference I see in the cooling system on the engine is the extra little port on the water pump. Could I just close that port off and route the hoses the same as they were on my engine/cooling system? The sensor that comes from the oil pan seems to have a different plug too, but I'm hoping I can just swap the sensor from my 91 oil pan onto it so that it'll plug into the harness.
        Last edited by firstRWD; 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM.

Comment

You need to swap the injector rail from your 91 to the 87 motor. Either swap over the water pump (if the one on the 91 is pretty new) or get a new water pump.

Comment

Ok, so the water pump is the only thing that's different? The water pump on the 91 is not quite a year old, so I'll just swap it over. Does the rail include the injectors and everything then? Thanks yet again. At this rate I'm going to have to come up with a way to repay you sometime.

And I'm glad I took your advice when I began this project about using the 91 harness rather than the guy I bought it from. Swapping the harnesses isn't that hard and seems like a much better way of doing things than rewiring.

As for the timing belt, I would have anyway, but the PO of the engine replaced the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump ~5,000mi ago, so that's been done. I checked it and it looks like it's definitely good.
            Last edited by firstRWD; 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, you'll need to swap over everything but the injectors.

Comment

Working...
              X