need help removing fan clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help removing fan clutch

so p icked up my first e30 this past weekend and it has a badleak from the water pump but i am having trubble getting the fan off the 32mm bolt is tight and i cant think of a way to hold the pully also i have a bentley manuel but it doesnt help much for this

you guys have any good tips?
    :borg:

Use a cheater bar and have a strong friend help you out. Mine was on so tight my buddy who is huge using about a 3ft cheater bar almost couldn't get it off.

Comment

Remember, its reverse thread.

Comment

PB blaster
        Let soak
        PB blaster
        Break free by turning the wrench toward the drivers side since its reverse threaded, after you knocked the nut free. If you cant break it free, have someone apply pressure to the belt with some sort of object, if you still cannot get it free, cut the belt and use vice grips to hold the pulley and pull the wrench back.
        I worked on a member's car here and there was loctite on the nut/waterpump hub, i thought my bones were going to turn to powder trying to break it free.
        HTH

Comment

I bought a new water pump, couldnt break it free, so I bought a new clutch and smashed the old clutch to bits with a BFH to get the pulley.

Comment

i took the belt off, cut it off. needed a new one it was craked to shit but before i cut it i tryed to tighten it up so to keep it from sliping then the teeth on the adjuster went to shit lol so i just moved on to other things ill try agian tomarrow after work

thanks for the tips guys

Comment

On the idler, do not use the bolt to "walk" to adjust the tension. Use a breaker bar to pry the alternator back enough until appropriate belt deflection is achieved, then push the teeth in on the idler bolt. You can just counterhold the 19mm idler bolt in while you tighten the 13mm nut on the back.

Comment

This is what I use my big flathead screwdriver for...
                '89 325i track sloot
                '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Originally posted by whiltebeitel View Post
                  This is what I use my big flathead screwdriver for...
                  +1. You can hold the water pump pulley in place by wedging a long screwdriver in behind the fan clutch. Use the 4 bolt heads on the pulley and get your screwdriver in between them. This worked like a charm for me.

1987 325is

--- used to haves ---
                  1988 325is
                  1999 540i/6/Sport
                  1989 325iX
                  1998 M3

Comment

the best way to get it off is with a good quality tight open ended spanner. get it on, and bang on the end with a hammer to loosen the threads. then with a BFH just knock it. even without holding it back, comes right off.

i used a 30mm wrench that was grinded to just under 32 mm. had to bang it on. first attempt with those flimsy bike wrenches completely failed.
                    90 E30 325i

Comment

thanks guys got it off i am going to change out the timing belt while iam at it

Comment

Working...
                      X