Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car stalls during when cold. Also hesitates upon acceleration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car stalls during when cold. Also hesitates upon acceleration.

1989 325i with 160K.

Car will stall while idling after sitting overnight or whenever the engine is cold. Does not stall after driving a few miles, but it ALMOST stalls and comes back to life as RPM's drop.

Previous owner says he replaced all fuel lines, intake boot, and vacuum hoses. I think the car has a vacuum leak, and I'm going to try to pinpoint where this weekend with some carb cleaner.

Maybe it's leaking from the brake booster?

When revving the engine in neutral, the RPM's dip first and the engine hesitates for an instant before things start working as they should.

Do these problems sound related? It was running very rich previously based on scent, but I replaced the coolant temperature sensor and it doesn't seem to be running as rich anymore.

The exhaust is also very loud and it sounds like it may have a hole somewhere.
    Last edited by eek142; 06-12-2009, 07:53 AM.

Yes, check for vacuum leaks first. Intake boot (I dont care what the PO says), throttle body to canister, ICV, canister lines, intake to FPR, all that stuff.

Comment

The definitive test for an intak elak is to have a smoke test run on the intake.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

What is the easiest way to perform a smoke test? I don't remember seeing anything at any auto parts store that I could buy.

Comment

Working...
        X