Car shuts down after 2K rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok here's an update after this evening.

My friend came by to check for spark in the plugs and initially there was none. According to my friend I needed to replace the plugs regardless of whether or not it was the cause of the problem so I went to autozone to get new plugs. They didnt have the plug wires in stock so I was not able to replace it on my car. However i still got spark so that took out that possibility of it being the problem to all this.

Here's when it got a little interesting. After swapping the main and fuel pump relays with the ones on my friend's working e30, my friend shifted the wires underneath the relays to make sure everything was "tight" and not loose , and when I tried to start the car it fired up and idled normal. It was getting dark and I let it idle a bit. My friend wanted to test drive it and as soon as he switched the lowbeams on the car died.

Just to make sure it wasnt a coincidence, we started the car up again and on about 5 different occasions, the car would shut off during the act of either turning the lowbeams or high beams on and off. On one occasion when i turned on my hid's the car acted like it was going to shut off but did not.

My friend concluded that it's an electrical issue but he did not have any time or idea of where to start and I'm hoping some of you guys will chime in and suggest some ideas of what to check next as far as electricle components. i still want to replace the fuel pump regardless. Thanks again

Comment

bad grounds. check and clean all of them.
      -Dan

Comment

ok will do. thanks Dan

Comment

Originally posted by bejbis View Post
          bad grounds. check and clean all of them.

X2

Page 2 has the link for my thread on ground locations.

Comment

Originally posted by vr2jetta View Post
            X2

Page 2 has the link for my thread on ground locations.
            thanks man. i saved the link you posted. :up:

Comment

Mine is a 1990 325i as well, so everything 'should' be the same. I have the airbag steering wheel.

Comment

UPDATE: Car fixed!

So last thurs evening I had my car towed 50 miles to my friend's place so he could work on it this past weekend. He checked the fuel pressure and that was fine. He checked the crank sensor with his multimeter and that's the problem.

Comment

Great man!
                  Glad to hear it.
                  Yours truly,
                  Rich
                  sigpic
                  Originally posted by Rigmaster
                  you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

thanks! I'm glad that it didn't end up costing me a lot of money to fix. So maybe for those who have similar problems and cannot figure out what's wrong, they should check that sensor. Although it may not look like it needs to be replaced, they should double check it just in case. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. This is a great forum

Comment

Working...
                    X