1987 325iC Won't Start - Lots of parts replaced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 325iC Won't Start - Lots of parts replaced

1987 Grey Market 325iC - Will not start or run.

First problem occured while camping. While driving to leave it simply shut off while we were moving. At that point we could not hear the fuel pump going. It eventually fired and ran for 2 weeks, including driving back home from Tenn.

Now it is 'dead'. We have swapped the coil, swapped cap and rotor and distributor. Swapped ECU and put in a new crank reference(was slightly out of spec per Bentley Manual).

There is spark from the coil to the distributor. 50psi is obtained on the fuel rail so it would seem the fuel pump is working and you can hear it.

Swapping the wires as a whole now just in case. Tried 2 different set of new plugs at this point.

What to try next or where to potentially look?

Main relay.
    On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

Comment

alternator

Comment

I had this same exact shit.

Does it crank and crank, or completely dead in the water? Interior lights come on when key is in ON position?
        cars beep boop

Comment

50 psi is significantly out of spec. It should be 3 bar, which is about 44 psi. I don't know if that would cause it not to run however.
          The current fleet:
          1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
          1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
          1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

Originally posted by strad View Post
            50 psi is significantly out of spec. It should be 3 bar, which is about 44 psi. I don't know if that would cause it not to run however.
            6psi over spec? I was told 50psi and friend said Bentley spec'd 44 so it should be fine.

Originally posted by kronus View Post
            I had this same exact shit.

Does it crank and crank, or completely dead in the water? Interior lights come on when key is in ON position?
            I will find out. I know it just cranks and cranks and cranks.

Originally posted by thereisnoyun View Post
            alternator
            Doubt it. It can crank and crank and crank.

Originally posted by romeomike View Post
            Main relay.
            Trying this. It is my friends car and I told him to try this.

Comment

Fuel Pump relay....that was my problem and similar symptoms...the main one and the fuel one are the same type of relay, but it certainly sounds like its one of those.
              BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                6psi over spec? I was told 50psi and friend said Bentley spec'd 44 so it should be fine.
                Forget about what Bentley or any other source says. The correct FPR has its rating printed right on the housing. It says 3 bar. 3 bar is 44 psi. So if your FPR is allowing 50 psi (and you trust the gauge) the fpr is faulty. And the car is getting too much fuel.

Another thing. If you have fuel pressure at the rail, you can rule out the fuel relay. The fuel pump is running, otherwise you wouldn't have pressure.
                The current fleet:
                1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
                1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
                1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

On the assumption that the fuel pressure check was done by tee'ing in a gauge at the inlet of the rail so that the FPR is part of the fuel system... While 50 psi is a bit over spec I think the engine should fire if it isn't flooded.

You have spark from the coil (do you have it at a plug?) and I presume the fuel pressure measurement was done while cranking over the engine. That being the case, the DME main & fuel relays, and CPS aren't your problem. The next check I'd do would be to see if the injectors are firing. Unless the harness has been changed, this car should not have a C191 connector, but there still could be a fault in the wiring to the injectors.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I am starting to lean towards injectors, faulty wiring there somewhere. From what we have replaced it would seem we may have a problem there.

I will have the owner swap the FPR just in case. I just don't think 6psi over is causing the car to not run. It does not reak of fuel when it is trying to start and we don't even get so much as a sputter or a mis-fire.

Comment

Check the crank reference sensor, the wiring, and the connector under the diagnostic plug. Be sure the wire has not been cut by the fan pulley.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie30 View Post
                        Check the crank reference sensor, the wiring, and the connector under the diagnostic plug. Be sure the wire has not been cut by the fan pulley.
                        Known good one from a running car was swapped.

Comment

I had the same issue with my fuel pressure and had to change the FPR but mine still won't start.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                            Known good one from a running car was swapped.
                            Swap the plugs from the crank sensor and the spark pulse generator. The plugs are the same and if they were off at the same time they could have been reversed. The car will not start if they are reversed. They are both inductance inputs so it will not burn anything up.

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Originally posted by strad View Post
                              Forget about what Bentley or any other source says. The correct FPR has its rating printed right on the housing. It says 3 bar. 3 bar is 44 psi. So if your FPR is allowing 50 psi (and you trust the gauge) the fpr is faulty. And the car is getting too much fuel.

Another thing. If you have fuel pressure at the rail, you can rule out the fuel relay. The fuel pump is running, otherwise you wouldn't have pressure.
                              Dude, i run 50 psi with my m30 and 19lb injectors, why does my car start right up?
                              Halston, where did you get the injector harness? Mark put in an early model harness in his 91 when he replaced his motor and it wouldn't start. He had to switch back to the original harness. Also, make sure you have the right connections at the diagnostic port. micah swithced the two that are held in the bracket by mistake, and his car was "dead in the water" until he realized they were switched.
                              Yours truly,
                              Rich
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Rigmaster
                              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Working...
                              X