Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Advice Needed for E30

Hey all,

Car is a 1986 325e. I recently got a set of headers, but Im going to do the whole exhaust at once.

The plan for the car is a 2.8i conversion with the eta bottom end and the 885 head in the near future (after the exhaust). Later on i'll do a proper 2.7i later on when I have the time.

The car is a 2nd car just for auto-X, HPDE, TT, and Track Days, but is street legal because I prefer to drive to the track.

My question is the headers I got are 3>1 step down to a 2.5" collector. My plan is to dump the two 2.5" into a 3" straight back with a glasspack and a muffler and no cat (yay, no smog test in sunny Florida!).

Is this going to be crazy loud to the point of getting me pulled over on the road?

Thanks for any help...
    sigpic
    Member of the "Push Harder, Suck Less," School of Auto-X

I'd say to run 2.5" back to a glass pack and even that is well more than the engine needs.

As to the noise level, that will depend entirely on the level of tolerance of any local constabulary that hear it. It will certainly be loud enough to attract unwanted attention.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

My 325e LeMons racer has stock manifolds, no cat, a Cherry Bomb, and a dump. It's loud, especially at idle, but when I get on it, it's okay. It passes sound check (92db at 10') at my local autocross, but it'll set off car alarms driving around on the street, so it's probably not ideal for a street driven vehicle.
      The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDScott View Post
        My 325e LeMons racer has stock manifolds, no cat, a Cherry Bomb, and a dump. It's loud, especially at idle, but when I get on it, it's okay. It passes sound check (92db at 10') at my local autocross, but it'll set off car alarms driving around on the street, so it's probably not ideal for a street driven vehicle.
        Wow! another Lemons racer. I ran with TAJ at Kershaw last year and have my own team (3000GT) this year.

Thanks for the advice. I guess 2.5" might be easier to fit over the 3"

So, 2.5" tubing, huge glasspack, no cat, and a muffler... Streetable?
        sigpic
        Member of the "Push Harder, Suck Less," School of Auto-X

Comment

I don't think so really. Like I said, it'll set off car alarms easily.
          The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Comment

Working...
          X