Alternator ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator ground

Where the F is the ground point for an m20 alternator? I see two terminals on the back, one with a fat wire, the other with a smaller wire, and a blue wire both on same terminal. Im getting no charge from a brand new alternator, so Im trying to make sure its got good ground. Where can I ground it from?
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

the case is grounded to the block. make sure the engine ground is good. also make sure the battery light in the cluster works. the alternator wont charge the battery without it

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
      the case is grounded to the block. make sure the engine ground is good. also make sure the battery light in the cluster works. the alternator wont charge the battery without it
      So the case grounds through the mount, correct?
      I already added extra grounding straps to the block in 2 locations, so the block should have good ground. Just to be sure, can I run another ground from the alternator to the chassis somehow?

I thought the light was only on pre-86 cars? Mine is a 1990..but the battery light will light up when key is on, then goes off when engine is running.
      sigpic
      Parts Wanted

Comment

Since the battery light works, that's not your problem. What is the system voltage with the engine idling and at 2500rom (should be 13.5v and ~14v, respectively if the battery isn't dead). If the battery has at least 75% charge (12.4 v with the engine off) and you aren't seeing those system voltages the alternator isn't working correctly.

In my experience, a generic reman alternator alternator is an iffy proposition. You may have to go through a couple of swaps to get one that works. Factory reman alternators are the best solution, though pricey.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Im getting 12.5 with the battery disconnected from the car.
          With the car running, 12.2v, even at a 2500-3000 rpm idle.

Ive already checked the grounds, what else could it be? Bad alt #2?
          sigpic
          Parts Wanted

Comment

Sounds like a bad alternator or voltage regulator to me.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Yeah, tomorrow I'm going to have more time to investigate. Ill pull the voltage reg, possibly swap it with the one off my old alt. and see if it makes any difference. If not, I'll drive to another auto parts store and have them test this brand new alt... my guess is I got a bad one.
              sigpic
              Parts Wanted

Comment

bork bork
                *sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X