power cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power cut

I have a 5/87 325is, lots of new parts. I'm driving it home tonight and for some reason when I'm wot, the power cuts at 3500rpm. Power cut enough to jerk you forward and make your seat belt lock. AFSIK there is no sort of timing advancement in these that would differ between half throttle and wot, so I can imagine it being cam timing, although I am going to check that tomorrow. Not sure if it's related but my battery light and oil pressure light came on as I was decelerating earlier today, as if the car stalled. If anyone has solved something similar please give me a hint so I don't have to chase crap down.

A sudden power cut is usually an electrical problem. Something could be taking power away from the DME, the injectors, or the coil (bad main relay, poor primary power or ground connection, wiring damage, etc). Or you could have a problem with the crank position sensor.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ah shit, I was hoping it was mechanical. The coil is a new msd, I never did replace the crank sensor though. Now that I think about it it happened once right after I rebuilt it about 5 months ago and never happened again since last night. Also my check engine light comes on after about 30 seconds of idiling and goes away when I blip the throttle. Why only wot though?

Comment

Working...
      X