Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding noise right after turning over...starter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding noise right after turning over...starter?

Since about a year ago my car has occasionally made an obnoxious grinding noise right after starting. It happens most often when the car is warm - such as if I'm out doing a few errands and starting the car multiple times over a fairly short period. Sometimes the noise will stop for a month or two and then randomly come back, but lately it has happened nearly every time the car is started.

Searching only turns up a thread or two about the issue and replacing the starter seems to fix the problem. I've always just assumed the starter is on its way out and I'll fix it when it dies, but it's turned over hundreds of times since the noise began and is still going strong.

I'm just tired of hearing the sound and would like to resolve it...does anyone have any insight to what the sound actually is? If I'm going to replace the starter I want to make sure that it'll take care of the problem. Other than the sound, the car runs great.

Here's a video:

Stop holding the key in the start position so long? :-p

Comment

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning & lubrication. I've had my VWs' done at a local alternator/starter shop.

Comment

Hmm, wish I had taken care of the starter when I had the intake manifold off a couple months ago!

Anyone else have input?

Thanks

Comment

Nick, sounds like it is your starter. Could be that you could have someone look at a rebuild. BTW, that's one hell of a clean engine bay. Looks clean/sterile enough to perform surgical procedures in there.
          1993 Alpine White II 325i convertible (last year of E30 production)
          1988 Zinnoberot 325 Super ETA coupe

Comment

LOL...my coworker had the same problem. Now, the car is in my hands as he didn't want to deal with the headache. Hence my ID...:). Anyways, my buddy replaced the starter and the car still wouldnt start. Then he removed all the spark plugs and found the #3 electrode was flattened and had a "\/" notched out of the threads. So, fast forward to today. I can only speculate that the timing belt is shot and the piston hit a valve, bending and sending it into the plug. Not good. I started to pull the intake manifold, head and timing belt cover off to see what I'm dealing with. Good thing though as I am finding tons of dry-rotted hoses and broke shite. I might just pull the motor and redo the whole thing. Depends what I find tomorrow. I will keep ya updated.

Comment

Working...
            X