Stripped Dowel pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Dowel pin

The other day I was replacing the Distributor and I notice # 2 and the area around it was stripped. So the timing must be off. Iv notice a loss of throttle response.

Does any one have any ideas?

Will I need to just replace the camshaft?

Thanks,

um, why would you "notice" it was stripped? you don't need to take that much apart to replace the distributor. did you put the rotor on backwards? lol

Comment

Yes. You will need a new cam, sprocket, and pin. New rockers will also be needed on the new cam lobes. The only reason that would ever happen is if the cam bolt was loose. The head needs to come off to change the cam, but that will also give you a chance to make sure you had no V-P contact. In fact, with the head off and cam out, you might as well just go for a full rebuild, including new valve seals and a valve job. Sucks, but be happy it didn't let go entirely.
      sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

Originally posted by smonkbmw View Post
        um, why would you "notice" it was stripped? you don't need to take that much apart to replace the distributor. did you put the rotor on backwards? lol
        In fact I didn't put it on backwards I was just cleaning up the engine and say it was stripped.

Comment

Originally posted by Knockenwelle View Post
          Yes. You will need a new cam, sprocket, and pin. New rockers will also be needed on the new cam lobes. The only reason that would ever happen is if the cam bolt was loose. The head needs to come off to change the cam, but that will also give you a chance to make sure you had no V-P contact. In fact, with the head off and cam out, you might as well just go for a full rebuild, including new valve seals and a valve job. Sucks, but be happy it didn't let go entirely.

Would it just be a good idea to just swap to a M20B25?

My eta motor has over 310k on it.

Comment

Probably a great idea to make a hybrid motor if you have to rebuild anyway.

Get yourself some custom pistons or work a 731 head and motronic 1.3.

Good thing you saw it before the pin really took a shit.

Comment

Am I wrong in guessing that you cannot see the keyway with the cam sprocket bolt installed? I'm pretty sure I'm correct.
              :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
              '93 325iS
              '99 528iT

Comment

Working...
              X