Remove Fuel Level Sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove Fuel Level Sender

I have an 88 SETA that just had its fuel tank swapped out due to too much rust. Everything is done except that I cannot get the second fuel sender (behind the driver's seat) to come out. I dont want to pull too hard since it might break but I do not see how it should be removed.
    I feel dumb because Im sure its probably super simple but I just cant figure out how to remove it. There is a notch at the bottom of the fuel sender that wont allow it to pass through the opening.
    Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!

The fuel level sensor on the left side of the tank lifts straight out once turned so the locks release. The sensor is a straight tube from the lock ring down.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Hmmm. Well, thats weird because if I lift the sender all the way up I can see a notch at the base. That notch is what is stopping the sender from lifting out. In fact, when I was at a junk yard not too long ago I tried removing the fuel sender and I ran into the same issue. Now Im really confused.

Comment

If the tank on the bottom is dented, the sender might be damaged and that's why it's not coming out easy. This happened on my 89 325i...tank was dented right below the fuel sender on the drivers side.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I can pull the sender all the way up but not out. The end of the sender that sits lowest in the tank has a partial "lip". It does not look bent or busted or anything. It looks like its supposed to be there. This "lip" is preventing me from lifting it out. The fuel sender I saw in the junk yard looked exactly the same. (I cant help but stop and stare at Jean's avatar every few seconds!)
          Does anyone have a pic of the sender behind the driver's seat that has been taken out?

Comment

Working...
          X