Broken intake studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken intake studs

So I purchased a head and upon opening the package, I noticed 1 bent intake stud and another snapped flush with the head. I made a claim with fedex and was wondering what are my options as far as repairing such a thing. Any real advice would be appreciated.
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

The bent stud can be removed and replaced. The broken stud will have to be drilled and removed with an easy out. If you don't have experience with doing this, have a shop do it.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I've used easy outs before, but from my experience its a hot or miss type deal. Just to plan ahead, what would be my option if it failed?

Comment

Have a machine shop remove the snapped off stud. Thats what I would do.
        RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
        Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
        DaveCN = Old Man
        My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
        If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Im the guy at the machine shop If you dont have a bridgeport style milling machine and a cylinder head roll over fixture dont try it the factory bottoms them out sometimes and years of corosion dosnt help either you can try the easy out dont drill deeper than any of the other holes wrap tape around the drill as a depth stop and if it comes out easy consider your self lucky it takes 20 to 30 minutes with the milling machine cause you can alighn the drill easy and use larger and larger drill bits(controlled feed rate)untill you can pull the threads out like a coil (years of expeience you'll be able to do the same thing with a hand drill if its on the work bench)

Comment

Well, I ended up buying some cheap extractors from northern tool and turns out the metal on that was softer then the stud. So I'm going to attempt with some better quality stuff and if I cant handle it, I'm taking it to a machine shop.

Comment

I'd say to take it straight to a shop. If you mess up trying to get the broken stud out, you can ruin the head.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
              X