Quick dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick dumb question

I have stock injectors with Jim C chip, going to buy new injectors. Some people buy 17.5lb, I hear this requires no mod to ecu. Looking to buy 19lb ones but can I still use my current Jim C chip for stock injectors? I realized I won't have significant gains, but will this screw up air/fuel ratio or does motronic take care of all that.
    My understanding is that they will work fine, I just won't be utilizing them to their full potential yet, but plan to eventually when I do more upgrades? Is this correct or am I an idiot? Thanks
    Originally posted by b3albakii
    the head was okey .. and in a good mood
    no i didnt over heat it so much
    www.blunttech.com

Motronic will take care of your A/F ratio eventually, it might run rich for bit though. You may get a CEL at idle.

You're just about maxing out the duty cycle of stock 14# injectors with a stock, chipped motor. So bigger multi-pintle injectors will offer a better spray pattern, which equates to better fuel atomization, which will make the car run a bit better. You probably won't notice much though. If you start doing more stuff later on down the line, that's when you'll NEED the bigger injectors.

So basically, yes you're right.

Comment

Thanks, how long would I be running rich like a few days? CEL wouldn't be a reaccuring thing though right, just for a couple days too then all would be good? Don't want to have CEL popping up on my DD.
      www.blunttech.com

Comment

If the rest of the fuel system is in good operating condition there is no advantage to larger injectors unless you do something to significantly increase the mass flow through the engine. That would mean cams and a head port and polish or forced induction. No other, less invasive, mods will increase the mass flow enough to call for greater fuel flow.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

This is more of a maintenance issue and also being prepared for performance in the future. Replacing 23 year old injectors will probably make a difference in drivability.
          www.blunttech.com

Comment

Working...
          X