Help! CEL and wierd revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! CEL and wierd revs

My 88ix has been acting up. Two or three days ago, while at a light, the engine died completely. I got it started after a few tries, and then dragged it home, where I cleaned up the engine a bit. At the light, the car revved randomly between 1500 and 2000, and then died, but after that, it settled down to 700ish rpms (for the first time all winter).

Today, the car did the same thing, but instead of dying repeatedly, it busted out the CEL, and since ive got the Motronic 1.1, i only have the "oxygen sensor malfunction" to work with. Any ideas?

All of those symptoms are consistent with intake leaks. A smoke test of the intake will quickly reveal any and all leaks.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Bump for new, worse symptoms.

Still have the CEL, but the car died again at a light and hasn't started since. I got it started and hobbled it home, but the new symptoms were as such:

Still have the idle searching, and in gear the car would lunge and rev on its own accord
      - needless to say, power delivery is suffering
      Temp gauge in the dash dances around randomly, could be a sensor
      Car would crank, but not turn over, so it could be electrical or fuel delivery

Checking the car and replaced two hoses in bad but not terrible shape that might've caused a vacuum leak...

but I'm out of ideas now, what do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
      X