No announcement yet.

M42 radiator swap complete!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone notice a rise in coolant temp from the smaller radiator?

Comment

I like this! My next mod, i'd like to clean up the engine bay like that!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mucci View Post
        Anyone notice a rise in coolant temp from the smaller radiator?

None, zero, zip! Mine will only run high if the fan is not hooked up. Ill be swapping in the lower temp thermo switch to make it even more efficent
        88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
        85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

um...arent m42 radiators known to explode? why this swap apart from the integrated reservoir??? im going to do the e36 radiator mod on my 318is...

Comment

not that i know of
            88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
            85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

OK, so i have most of what i need and i took the radiator out of the eta today (starting the engine swapping) and noticed that it doesnt have any provisions for mounting this newer style radiator. The old style radiator sits on the bottom of the core support on a few tabs. newerstyle have mounts that come out from the frame or core about half way up the radiator. How have you guys with older cars been doing it?
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
              Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                OK, so i have most of what i need and i took the radiator out of the eta today (starting the engine swapping) and noticed that it doesnt have any provisions for mounting this newer style radiator. The old style radiator sits on the bottom of the core support on a few tabs. newerstyle have mounts that come out from the frame or core about half way up the radiator. How have you guys with older cars been doing it?
                bump for answer
                Denny

Blogs:
                http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

the radiator just sits on the old style mounts, its a little bit shifted to the driver side but its still pretty well centered and at the correct height. Use the new style upper support to hold it in place, i also added a ziptie around the rubber of the upper support through part of the radiator to keep it more secure. as i said its shifted to the side a little so the tabs that are on top of the radiator to engage the upper support arent quit in the right spot so it has some play if you dont secure it somehow.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Naplm00 View Post
                    top one is a stock hose for an eta

bottom one is a touring car hose WITH AC...if it was a 11531722216..it would be WITHOUT Ac
                    i can tell you that the stock eta hose does not fit

edit: Lev any way you can double check that hose? please?
                    Last edited by NC325iC; 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Take the rubber mounts off and cut out a chunk so you can center it. Also make sure you have a good tranny stop cause the pulley will eat in to the drain plug.

i can tell you that the stock eta hose does not fit

edit: Lev any way you can double check that hose? please?
                      ru

I just used a lower m20 hose. just cut to fit. Works great and cheaper then a touring hose. If their is a large enough demand i can make an m20 specific upper radiator hose made of 3-4 ply silicone. Price would be about $50.

www.gecoils.com
                      My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                        I just used a lower m20 hose. just cut to fit. Works great and cheaper then a touring hose. If their is a large enough demand i can make an m20 specific upper radiator hose made of 3-4 ply silicone. Price would be about $50.
                        a lower m20 hose?

Comment

yup

www.gecoils.com
                          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I'm still holding out hope that a m30 mounted far enough back without the mechanical fan will allow a m42 rad or some other integrated overflow tank radiator./

Comment

What is everyone doing to keep the ps pump off the drain plug? Mine might fit a sheet of paper btw them, I have another ps pump with a smaller pulley center on it but I donno if it works.

Comment

A lower m20 hose is about 4 inches long and connects to a metal pipe

Comment

Working...
                                X