my e30 revs to 4500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my e30 revs to 4500

and it wont go any higher. if i start it up cold, it will rev to its normal limiter but once it warms up it will just stop at 4500. I dont know if this is related to the problem i have on the highway when i drive. i drive at like 75mph and sometimes the car will just buck like a bull for a quick second, the CEL comes on as it 'bucks' and then it will go back to normal. anyone? im running out of things to check/ideas

must have n eta
    [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
    Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

its an 87 325is

Comment

Sounds like it has a guardian mode lol. Mercruiser has what they call guardian mode that limits revs if its over heating or has low oil.

Comment

oil isnt low and its not over heating at all

Comment

And a car with something like that is a terrible idea and it was a joke. Is the revlimiter kicking in or is it bogging?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince30 View Post
              And a car with something like that is a terrible idea and it was a joke. Is the revlimiter kicking in or is it bogging?
              Lol yes jokes are good.

but its just like a new rev limiter. there is no bogging. it just stops at like 4500. i thought fuel but i think its way to constant to be always at 4500 to be a fuel issue.

Comment

Timing advance not working? I don't really know how the air fuel mixture works on these but it could be that.

Comment

plugs and wires, cap, rotor are all fairly new. it just started out of no where one day and its been this way ever since. i ordered a new fuel filter cuz i havent changed that ever so we'll see what that does

Comment

I have the exact same problem on my 90 iC

feels sort of like a rev limiter, but not exactly like it.
                    1991 E30 M3 Brilliant/black - S54B32/5M
                    1990 E30 318iT RHD Lagunagrun/tan - S52B32Turbo/5M
                    2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M
                    1991 E31 850i red/grey/6M
                    1997 F355 spider red/tan/6M

Comment

i'll try to get a video up here in the next couple days. videos are better than trying to type out an explanation

Comment

Originally posted by e30-325 View Post
                        i'll try to get a video up here in the next couple days. videos are better than trying to type out an explanation
                        I'll get one up too for bigger sample size :D
                        2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M

Comment

did i mention the o2 sensor is a month old? also sometimes on the highway the car will just die. the rpms will just drop slowly with the deceleration of the car. sometimes it will catch itself and kick back in again and be normal, other times i gotta shut the car off and it starts right back up and doesnt do it again the rest of the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by e30-325 View Post
                            did i mention the o2 sensor is a month old? also sometimes on the highway the car will just die. the rpms will just drop slowly with the deceleration of the car. sometimes it will catch itself and kick back in again and be normal, other times i gotta shut the car off and it starts right back up and doesnt do it again the rest of the trip.
                            just because your CEL code is probably a Lambda code doesnt point specifically to the 02 sensor, it can be any number of intake, exhaust or ignition problems.

my car has a brand new 02 sensor in it and does things very similar to what you describe.
                            2011 E82 1M VO/blk/6M

Comment

yeah i realize that. ive replaced basically everything on the engine and it just does this in return. new TPS i just put on like 2 weeks ago, new vacuum hoses. there are no leaks. only thing im thinking is the AFM, fuel....i dont know lol

Comment

Working...
                              X