What the hell is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell is this?

I was doing some work on my buddy's M20 and this spring assembly fell out near the A/C compressor. I don't usually work on M20's so I am not familiar with this part. I can't tell if belongs. It looks German, but there is no part number.

Does anyone recognize it? If it belongs on the car, let me know where. I hope it's not a critical part, as the car has been run without it.
    Originally posted by jrhaile
    For the record I have never fucked a goat.

timing belt tensioner spring. Supposed to be wedged between water pump and tensioner pulley.

Comment

Lolz. Yea, you might want to fix that.
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Can you point me in the direction of picture (installed) so I can explain to him where it goes?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
          Lolz. Yea, you might want to fix that.
          Yeah no joke. I got into the job half way through somebody else tearing it down. So it was Charlie Foxtrot from the word go, with crap scattered everywhere.

Comment

Ha! That sucks. Now you have to check *everything*.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I did. Except this part. It was given to me after the fact. It went something like this....

"Hey, do know where this goes? I think it fell out the other day"

I replied with "I have no idea, but if it came out of the motor F***********CK!"

Comment

It's #18 & #19 in this pic. The tensioner pulley is #16. The angle pictured is about right for the end of part #19 to be placed into the corresponding tab on the WP.

It's definitely a good idea to check *everything* when you reinstall that and any related parts, especially if you're not the one who pulled the timing belt.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Taken from e30world.com...

Hope that helps.
                  87 325iC 90 325iC 88 325iC 87 325i 87 325iS 87 325eS

Comment

If the timing belt has been done recently and the belt is tensioned correctly you can save that off until the next belt is due(might want to check the tensioner bolts are tight). If you don't know when the belt was done, replace the belt and tensioner with that in place.
                    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=11&fg=25

It's #18 & #19 in this pic. The tensioner pulley is #16. The angle pictured is about right for the end of part #19 to be placed into the corresponding tab on the WP.

It's definitely a good idea to check *everything* when you reinstall that and any related parts, especially if you're not the one who pulled the timing belt.
                      Originally posted by Lunner View Post
                      Taken from e30world.com...

Hope that helps.
                      Those both help. Thank you very much.

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
                      If the timing belt has been done recently and the belt is tensioned correctly you can save that off until the next belt is due(might want to check the tensioner bolts are tight). If you don't know when the belt was done, replace the belt and tensioner with that in place.
                      Yeah I just got done redoing everything yesterday. New head, T-belt and water pump. One of the temp sensors was broken at the T-stat so i'm heading back over there this morning to replace it. So while i'm there, i'll put the spring in if I can get in there easily. If not, I tensioned everything to spec and applied pressure to the tensioner before tightening the lock bolt. So if I can't slip it in there it should be fine, but i'll give it a shot.

Again, thanks for all of your input.

Comment

I highly recommend that you pull the TB back off and install the tensioner spring. As long as the tensioner bolt remains tight the spring isn't needed, but if the tensioner moves because the spring isn't there the engine will jump time. If that happens valves can meet pistons.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

That pin and spring is completely captive. It cannot come loose unless you remove the water pump or tensioner pulley.

How did you tension the timing belt? By applying pressure manually? That's completely wrong and will likely shorten the life of the timing belt. The belt tension must be set by the spring with the engine at TDC, having turned to TDC without reversing the direction.

One the belt tension has been set the tensioner is clamped down. The spring has no further role until the next belt change.

Comment

Went back in and resealed the faulty WP gasket. While I was in there, I spring. All better now.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                            X