Motor swap or not to swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor swap or not to swap?

So I just did a compression test on my car 2nd valve reads 110 and 6th valve reads 100.
    Idle likes to bounce around 800.
    Car likes to jerk around alot on 3rd and 4th gear probably from subframe bushing.

Contemplating whether I should do a rebuild on the motor.
    I have a '87 325i head w/ a '84 325e block.
    Not sure to go ahead and spend the money on doing a full rebuild. Once I do I will probably go all out to make this motor bad ass.
    Or should I go find another motor and just do a swap.
    Still a noob in the e30 world so I need all the help I can get because I love my e30 and I want it running perfect well... at least really good.

Assuming you mean 2nd and 6th piston? While those numbers aren't stellar, they're consistent enough to not stick out as a huge problem based on what you've posted so far. I think most people expect around 160-180, but given your low compression set up, that motor may have never made those numbers. What do the rest of the pistons come in at?

Bouncing idle is probably from a vacuum leak.

Not sure how a subframe bushing could cause a jerk at higher speeds, but I'm sorta new here as well. My subframe bushings are shot in my track car (probably in my DD as well) and I don't notice anything like what you're describing from them. Sure it's not your CSB, driveshaft or axles?
    sigpic

Comment

I see... well i heard subframe bushing are commonly known to blow out on the e30 so i had assumed it was just the bushing. But other compressions 1,3,4,5 piston read 149-150. But my car still drives which is good. But yea I don't know what's going on with jerking. I've changed out my axle so I'm sure it's not that but really haven't done a thorough check on my car.

Comment

Working...
      X