Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car will not shut off, as if it were stuck in run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car will not shut off, as if it were stuck in run.

Ok so I bought an 89 325i 6 weeks ago, and this past friday the car will not turn off when I turn the key, or remove it.

the steering lock still works and the radio shuts off but the door buzzer and AC and dash lights and engine keep on trucking. If I stall the car out it lights up all the dash lights and I have to pull the battery cable.

Today I changed the ignition switch and that made no difference.

The only related thing I am seeing is that I have a brake light warning light on, but the brake lights are fine.

Any ideas? I had my mechanic friend check all of the relays and he said they were fine.

P.S. Sorry to crosspost this, not sure where to put it.

you are obviously getting a back feed somewhere. Inspect the wiring and dont be shy.
    -Andy

Comment

Had something like this once, I could take out the key and the thing would keep on running. Ended up being my grounds under the gash by the pedal box were bad.

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Originally posted by dickerdeville View Post
        Any ideas? I had my mechanic friend check all of the relays and he said they were fine.
        These cars have some oddities. One of them is the fact that several relays on board use a normal size and pattern of pins on the relays, but area totally different than usual configuration...meaning normal relays can plug in, but do not work properly.

It sounds to me like someone attempted to replace your main relay with one that is "normal" configuration: BMWs relay has no "N.C." contact, but has 2 N.O. contacts.

Swap the main relay with one that is known good.

IF you buddy wants the factory BMW electrical manuals, they can be found at www.wedophones.com

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i think i have a good main relay around here somewhere

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
          i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
          Originally posted by slammin.e28
          Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

My buddy is actually a BMW tech (we work at a dealership) and he was checking the wiring diagrams. I know my ground wire for the oil pan looks a little rough, could that have something to do with it?

The only related thing I can think of is the following:

Right before the car started doing this I had turned it off to go to dinner but left the lights on (for about 30 minutes) when I started the car up it was fine and I drove it around and then went home. When I shut it off when I got home, it kept running and has been doing that since.

Comment

are you the guy i met at Applebees by any chance? lol

Moral of this story?

Comment

nah,

I've only met two E30 dudes

ak and some guy who works at the chino hills autozone with a white pre88 4 door.

Comment

autozone guy is john, he's a good friend of mine. ak too

Moral of this story?

Comment

Originally posted by dickerdeville View Post
                    My buddy is actually a BMW tech (we work at a dealership) and he was checking the wiring diagrams. I know my ground wire for the oil pan looks a little rough, could that have something to do with it?

The only related thing I can think of is the following:

Right before the car started doing this I had turned it off to go to dinner but left the lights on (for about 30 minutes) when I started the car up it was fine and I drove it around and then went home. When I shut it off when I got home, it kept running and has been doing that since.
                    when it does it again, pull the main relay.

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Working...
                    X