Not really a stroker, but its a 2.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really a stroker, but its a 2.7

Well I got my car started today on its way to a 2.7 liter eta hybrid. I installed a reground camshaft which has less lobe height so now I cant get the adjustment on the vavles. New oversized eccentrics are on the way. So one problem solved.

The car is running a little hot, I ran it for about 10 minutes at 2 grand to help break the cam in, but i noticed that the coolant gage was way above normal (3/4). I just thought it was from sitting that long with no airflow to it. I bled the system and coolant came out of the bolt. I drove the car and the temp went back to about normal (and I had the heat on full blast) then would fluctuate between 1/2 and 3/4. When I returned it was still getting hot when sitting, so I bled again and air came out, then coolant (obviously has air pockets). How many times should I except to bled the system? It seemed to help but still not where it should be. Are there any other factors that could cause it to run hot?

more details and pics coming soon
    Old and improved:

the best way to get air out of it i would was to start the car, turn on the heater, have the hose running, then open the bleed screw.

I just keep the hose adding water to the system as it needs it while it sits there at idle. When the air has cleared and you notice it isnt any different coming out the bleeder, remove the hose and dump in the coolant. You need to get it in pretty quickly, but once you are done just nip up the bleed screw and you are finished.

It means that you have to use concentrated coolant (like you should be using anyway) and not the pre mixed stuff, but that isnt a hassle. Once you do it 2 or 3 times you really get the hang of it and find it is easy to do.

Because the car is sitting at idle it shouldnt generate enough heat in the space of the 5 mins or so it takes to do it, because it doesnt get hot enough it doesnt need to pressurise the system so you can leave the car running with the radiator cap off.

It's just like doing an E36 but the bleed is in a different place.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Where did you have the cam done? Or did you buy it outright? Just curious...I'm heading a similar route with my eta.

Comment

Originally posted by EverWiser
        Where did you have the cam done? Or did you buy it outright? Just curious...I'm heading a similar route with my eta.
        This is a reground bmw cam I got from universal dismantlers. It has an "other than stock, still a secret duration" It also has 7 cam bearings rather than 4 so I had to drill new oil journals. It idles pretty good, and in the short time I drove it, didnt notice any low end loss (I was expecting to lose some). There are a few other items I attended to on the head I installed.

I will be checking the coolant system again today. I understand what you mean madhatter. I'll see whats up.
        Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
        X