E36M radiator install in E30 M20 early w/ OEM parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36M radiator install in E30 M20 early w/ OEM parts

E36M radiator was looking at me for months, e30 had failing radiator.

e36M uses same radiator PN as late mode 88-91 M20, however my car was not late model (1987), so no PNP for me.
    been testing this in DD/fun driving for the last month, and it seems pretty happy.

you can fit all M20 late model original water items to your m20 if you care to make things perfect; the parts are cheap and not terribly hard to install, however My m20 is not the final power plant for my e30........

To install e36M PWR into e30 1987 M20:

1 x PWR radiator or similar Oem/equivalent aftermarket unit for e36m
    1 x M20 Original radiator shroud
    2 x e36m S52 radiator hoses top and bottom (slightly trimmed)
    1 x m20 header side hose
    1 x s54 waterpump connector metal pipe ($19) pn: 11537830710
    2 x OEM bmw hose clamps.
    3/8" rubber good year hose
    electrical solder, shrink wrap for connector.
    1 x late model M20 radiator fixture bracket with its rubber stops (modded for my fat radiator)

1. remove m20 radiator
    2. install m20 fan shroud on E36m radiator
    3. install radiator with fan shroud, fits
    4. install top radiator bracket (holes are there from factory, no drilling required)
    5. install s52 hoses and trim to fit, adapt header side with combo S52+m20 hose;
    use aluminum S54 water pipe to connect them. Pipe is flared and fits the hose size great, ends are straight flanged for an O ring and need to be taken down to fit over hoses, afterwards you have a perfect fit BMW oem coolant pipe from S54 that has flares to catch OEM BMW hose clamps. remove o rings from s54 pipe if you have them on (if you order it new no o-rings included). remove flare to seat o ring via file, etc and then its PNP. I'm sure there are other pipes that can be used, This was on my shelf and a genuine BMW item so I used it.

Oem pipe detail.

VAC also makes a trick version of this pipe that has 2 mountings for sensors. I didnt deem this needed, and slipped the rubber completley over the pipe to hide the shinyness.

vac unit, its FAT and has 2 flat mounting points to drill for sensors.

The VAC Motorsports Water/Coolant Temperature Manifold for BMW S54 engines, E46 M3, allows for the easy install of water temp gauges.

6. extend wiring of the coolant temp sensor (for fan switching). solder+heat shrink !!!
    7. run 3/8" rubber overflow from coolant bottle to radiator top nipple.
    8. install m20 fan, fits perfectly.
    9. bleed coolant system, drive car.

E36m radiator, hoses, s54 waterpump short metal pipe.

Hybrid hose from s52/m20/s54 connector

S52 hose (trimmed for length) has bend and Clears m20 airbox

Last edited by Wanganstyle; 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

um. okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      um. okay.
      had leaky radiator, had e36m rad on shelf! $0 solution to me.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

thanks! runs cool and makes m20 happy, instead of hot and bothered.

Comment

Very nice! I may copy this eventually, I don't want to get rid of my 666fab early model res, but I would like an aluminum radiator. Perfect solution! Have you flogged it pretty hard with no problems to date?

Comment

Originally posted by lcoleman View Post
              Very nice! I may copy this eventually, I don't want to get rid of my 666fab early model res, but I would like an aluminum radiator. Perfect solution! Have you flogged it pretty hard with no problems to date?
              I've tested this radiator to my current e36M's v-max with both stock 3.38 gearing and 4.10 final :)

PWR units are American made and engineered high quality items with billet end tanks!!

Unlike the M..M..o foreign outsourced non USA item my last E36M had.

This is NOT a china part; there were no fit issues in the e36m; thats why I wanted to fit it into the e30.

- if a OEM BEHR e36M radiator was fitted the mounting bracket would need ZERO modification.

My bracket needed to be clearanced to take the extra thick PWR core. Core is thicker than even a mishimoto item by a decent amount, the cooling system capacity increased.

My e30 has done about month of daily driver duty with the PWR now, many mountain runs, DD heatsoak in bridge toll traffic and:

..........slide slide slippity-slide with LSD around the block .................................................. .................................................. .....leaving strange circles and squiggly marks.

perhaps the e30 is communicating with aliens... :D

Comment

Most importantly that one hose on the driver side is away from the alternator fan blades

Comment

Originally posted by mrgetbig50 View Post
                  Most importantly that one hose on the driver side is away from the alternator fan blades
                  yes! the old M20 hose had marks of contact w the alternator fan

Comment

Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but is there an all-aluminum rad out there that is the same dimension as the original e36M rad? Love the idea of upgrading the cooling system of my m20 (the weather is getting extremely hot in manila now - just had 4 overheated engines drop by the shop in the last week) but i dont want to modify any mounts.

Also, whats a good source for silicone hoses? I know its a bit overkill, But i'd love a set of red ones. :)

Thanks!

http://arcautomotive.com.ph/
                    like us on facebook
                    Service • Detailing • Parts • Accessories
                    BMW Car Club of the Philippines

Comment

Originally posted by frag View Post
                      Sorry to ressurect this old thread, but is there an all-aluminum rad out there that is the same dimension as the original e36M rad? Love the idea of upgrading the cooling system of my m20 (the weather is getting extremely hot in manila now - just had 4 overheated engines drop by the shop in the last week) but i dont want to modify any mounts.

Also, whats a good source for silicone hoses? I know its a bit overkill, But i'd love a set of red ones. :)

Thanks!
                      Why same dimmensions? Why not bigger? Or no clearance Due to engine swap?

I used the pwr USA made piece. It was approx 20mm thicker than the e36m standard piece. My m20 engine retains original mechanical fan for cooling, the original radiator mounting plastic bracket was clearanced slightly to fit the bigass radiator. This is extremely easy to do, you could make a custom metal bracket also.

If you want a thinner all aluminum radiator there are many china knock off ones that seem decent but have so-so fitting.

The pwr and Oem bmw radiators fit perfect.

Many people in USA upgrade the e36m radiator to the z3m s54 radiator. It's thicker and has more water capacity.

The Oem bmw hoses fit the best. Also most reliable. You will need to trim a little to fit the e30 engine bay properly. My original m20 airbox and inlet still fit perfectly.

Samco sport is probably the best aftermarket option. Don't bother with any of the knock off items if you are picky about fit.

Comment

Great idea; its original cold reception here is completely out of line with how simple and elegant a solution this is to install a late model radiator onto an early model car. I can confirm that it not only works, but coolant flow is completely unaffected.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                          Great idea; its original cold reception here is completely out of line with how simple and elegant a solution this is to install a late model radiator onto an early model car. I can confirm that it not only works, but coolant flow is completely unaffected.

Thank you for not being a r3vtard and using your brain

R3vtards can’t apply logic.

Comment

Working...
                          X