No Coolant and temp sits at only half way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Coolant and temp sits at only half way

Alright so about 2 weeks ago my upper radiator neck snapped causing me to lose a shit load of coolant. At first I didnt realize what had happened and drove for about another 15 minutes or so to get to work. But the weird thing was that the temp only sat at just over half way. Could i have damaged anything by running it without coolant?(btw I do have a 71 degree thermostat that i have installed only for the summer)

Also what are the chances of a piece of the radiator neck to be inside the hose? In my haste to fix it after i got off work, I never checked if a piece was inside the hose. But i did find 3/4ths of it by the windsheild washer fluid.
    '87 Zinno 325e

If the engine lost a significant amount of coolant the temp gage can't be trusted while the car is in motion. It will usually read low. Lets hope that you didn't warp or crack the head.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I dont think the temp gauge is broken though 'cause this car has overheated before i changed the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat. And when it did overheat the gauge read way past the middle :/
      '87 Zinno 325e

Comment

Originally posted by blindwOw View Post
        I dont think the temp gauge is broken though 'cause this car has overheated before i changed the water pump, timing belt, and thermostat. And when it did overheat the gauge read way past the middle :/
        but if enough coolant leaks out the temp sensor is surrounded by (hot) air and maybe steam, so it's not gonna read the true "coolant" temp.

Comment

aaahh okay...now i understand(i think) thanks
          '87 Zinno 325e

Comment

Working...
          X