Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibilities with e36 m3 pistons in an m20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibilities with e36 m3 pistons in an m20?

I'm about to rebuild a 2.7L block for my low compression stroker (8:1) to use with my turbo.

I am curious though... I wonder, can any of the m50 pistons be used in the m20 block with 2.7L crank and either e or i rods?

Yes I know there is a huge bore on the 3.2, but that is ideal for me. Caution to the wind.

MLS gaskets are also avail to raise compression if needed.

Can be done, but I'm not so sure about on a turbo, gonna need some serious cutting down of the piston... and that gasket ur talking about.

Dunno I think it could work, I think the min area between the top ring, and the top of the M50 piston is 3mm... but don't hold me too that. Thats from what I can remeber, but I'm not sure if it's correct

EDIT, I just saw u talking about the 3.2lt if im correct they have 86.2mm bore (not sure if the US version is the same I'm talking S50B32)... U can't use those pistons...well u can but ur brave if u do, cause that is cutting it really close to the water jacket, heard of ppl using them but in my eyes the gain u recieve isn't justified by making a motor that can go pop at any moment... rather just use 3.0lt (86mm) pistons... and once again I'm not sure if the US is the same as the Euro ones

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30
      Can be done, but I'm not so sure about on a turbo, gonna need some serious cutting down of the piston... and that gasket ur talking about.

Dunno I think it could work, I think the min area between the top ring, and the top of the M50 piston is 3mm... but don't hold me too that. Thats from what I can remeber, but I'm not sure if it's correct

EDIT, I just saw u talking about the 3.2lt if im correct they have 86.2mm bore (not sure if the US version is the same I'm talking S50B32)... U can't use those pistons...well u can but ur brave if u do, cause that is cutting it really close to the water jacket, heard of ppl using them but in my eyes the gain u recieve isn't justified by making a motor that can go pop at any moment... rather just use 3.0lt (86mm) pistons... and once again I'm not sure if the US is the same as the Euro ones

This is how the piston looks like

Best Regards,
      OO=[][]=OO
      Calvin Tan
      Eurocar Motorsport - automobile Technik
      www.EurocarMotorsport.com
      www.geocities.com/calvintan_e30

Comment

Working...
      X