rod knock or piston slap??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rod knock or piston slap??

i have this b25 head bolted on to what i understand is an eta block...it might be a super eta but that is besides the point

when started from dead cold it makes this clacking noise. It doesn't sound like its coming from the bottom portion of the block more like where the head and the block meet. The noise becomes less audible when warmed up but is still traceable if you are really listening for it...the link leads to the video

Sounds like misadjusted valves to me.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Sounds like your valves. Does it get louder as you accelerate?
      ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
      ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

not louder just more repetitions...i dont believe its valves because i just adjusted the valves...i've done it a couple times as well.

and the valves were ticking fine in the video its the clack that im concerned about...the rocker arms seem fine when i pulled the valve cover...

Comment

Was the video made with the engine at normal operating temperature? I definitely hear valve noise, but if the engine is cold that would be normal. I also hear what I think might be rod knock. You'd have to get the car up in the air to see if there is noise in the bottom end.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

the first clip was a cold start and the second clip is at normal temp..

Comment

That's misadjusted valves and cold piston slap. My engine sounded the same.

Comment

Wtf is piston slap?

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                  Wtf is piston slap?
                  It's where the piston tilts in the bore and the skirt of the piston hits the cylinder wall.

Comment

Working...
                  X