buying headgasket, which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying headgasket, which one?

I'm going to do the headgasket while i'm doing the timing belt this winter and noticed pelican has quite a few choices. I've heard some negative things on Victor Reinz products in general so should I steer clear from them for the headgasket? I've used them for the valve cover gasket and have had no problems. I'm keeping my m20b25 stock so i don't think going +0.3 is necessary for me. thanks for the advice, just don't want to have to replace it a year later or anything.

**also, the head gasket sealing compound that pelican sells...necessary? this will be my first time so any advice is great. i do have manuals and plenty of sources to reference off of but it's always nice to hear advice from those who've done it and have had issues in the way compared to these perfect mechanics in the manuals.

trying to order this weekend so if anyone knows of a good one let me know. if theyre one in the same let me know thanks.

Comment

I always use Goetze head gaskets. I've never used any sort of sealant and I've never had an issue. Just make sure you scrape all of the crap off of the mating surfaces and torque the bolts properly and it should be fine.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
      i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
      Originally posted by slammin.e28
      Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I had a VR headgasket that came in a kit, heard some bad things so I went with the goetze(man).

Make sure you clean the head and block off as good as you can. Also, don't reuse the head bolts!

Comment

The Reinz head gasket is the one that's trash. The rest of their stuff is generally usable, but their head gasket likes to leak oil.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I done probably 10 m20 cylinder head jobs using victor reinz head gaskets with no problem. I always spray the gasket with copper head gasket spray.
            1988 E30 335i - 1987 E30 327i - 1987 E30 327iS Pickup - 1973 2002 Project

Visit www.BimmerHeads.com for all of your 12 valve needs!

Comment

Goetze. Got one on my turbo build right now.
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Have used Victor Reinz plenty of times without any issues, but you can't go wrong with Goetze either.
                Originally posted by audiquattrot
                bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
                1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
                2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
                1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
                2006 CBR600RR

Comment

awesome thanks guys. i knew i had read something about VR in the past that really put a bad image on em. ill go with the goetze. thanks again!

Comment

I'd use goetze, elring, and fel-pro before I'd use any reinz stuff. Personal preference. It's probably all the same stuff, but I have a leaking reinz gasket. I can assume it was the PO's installation that was the problem, but it is not worth repeating.

Comment

Working...
                    X