Engine doesn't warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine doesn't warm up

I replaced a few things on my e30 a couple of weeks ago (fan clutch, thermostat, water pump, timing belt/tensioner, water pump belt, coolant, oil, oil filter, assorted gaskets). Before all this, the car would run rock solid at the halfway mark on the temperature gauge, but when I was in slow traffic or left it to idle for a long period of time it would overheat. This seemed to point to the fan clutch, and the new one was much stiffer than the old.

Now that the car is back together, it refuses to warm up past slightly below the 1/4 mark unless I leave it idling for a good fifteen or twenty minutes, and even then if I start driving again it cools back down. I've taken it on two-hour drives, and the engine seems to run fine, but never warms up as much as it used to. The oil I put in was 0w-40 full synthetic based on the fact it gets really cold around here in the winter, but I'm thinking this was too thin, as now when my car gets to operating temps, my oil light begins dimly flickering at low rpm's. I don't think this is related to my car not warming up, but anything is possible.

What could be causing my car to not warm up as much? I don't think I hosed any sensors as I was wrenching on stuff, but it's possible I suppose. The gauge jumps a small amount every so often as I'm driving, but goes back to it's previous position.
    The thermostat is brand new, but I didn't test it before I put it in. I'm fairly sure I put it in correctly, and in any case I'd think if it was stuck closed, my car would overheat, and if it was stuck open, the car would just warm up very slowly; in my case, it never gets to its old operating temp regardless of the time.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

New thermostats can be faulty, and the one you got may have been a lower temperature thermostat. I would try a different one.

Is your username a reference to Brian Regan? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post

Is your username a reference to Brian Regan? :D
      Indeed it is :)

I still have the old thermostat (I don't throw old parts away until I'm sure the new ones work, fun lesson to learn), if no one has any other ideas I'll pop that in and see if it helps. Draining coolant and bleeding is such a PITA.

Comment

What thermostat did you install? A 75C thermostat will result in the guage settling very near the 1/4 mark. An 80C thermostat will have the needle close to half way between the 1/4 & 1/2 mark.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          What thermostat did you install? A 75C thermostat will result in the guage settling very near the 1/4 mark. An 80C thermostat will have the needle close to half way between the 1/4 & 1/2 mark.
          Well I'll be bum-jiggered.
          I just checked my invoice, and it said it's a 71 degree thermostat. If what you say is accurate, then this is almost certainly my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by boxen View Post
            Well I'll be bum-jiggered.
            I just checked my invoice, and it said it's a 71 degree thermostat. If what you say is accurate, then this is almost certainly my problem.
            Yep, that is why the guage is reading so low. Replace the thermostat with the OE (80C) unit.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
            X