High idle and Dieseling when shutting off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High idle and Dieseling when shutting off

I have an 85 325e, right now its got a high idle issue (idles great when its cold) as soon as it reaches full operating temp it idles about 1200-1300rpm and its driving me nuts! It also just developed an issue where i go to turn the ignition off, and sometimes it trys to continue to run for a good 5 sec after its turned off, dieseling. So far i have seafoamed it, cleaned the icv, replaced vacuum hose, pulled the spark plugs and cleaned them, and something interested...i replaced the dip stick that had missing o rings and replaced the filler cap (which was also shot) and that caused the idle to go UP rather than down to normal. It seems as tho the more lines i replace, the higher the idle gets, and i have the icv adjusted as much as possible to get it down that low! Any suggestions? Coolant temp sensor? Im mostly concerned with the dieseling, as that is really angering me at the moment, but would also like to get this high idle solved as well.
    1990 325i 5spd
    09 135i 6spd m-sport package

For starters, have a smoke test run on the intake. That will find leaks in places you'd never think to check.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It was not uncommon for some carbureted engines to diesel as they could still pull fuel from the carb but dieseling on a injected motor I'm thinking you must have a leaky injector/cold start valve for it to have fuel to diesel that long??
      My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
      4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        For starters, have a smoke test run on the intake. That will find leaks in places you'd never think to check.
        How much does that usually cost?

Originally posted by whodwho View Post
        It was not uncommon for some carbureted engines to diesel as they could still pull fuel from the carb but dieseling on a injected motor I'm thinking you must have a leaky injector/cold start valve for it to have fuel to diesel that long??
        I was thinking that (cold start valve) i think i am going to disconnect the fuel line from it and see if the issue continues.
        1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Would like to report i fixed my issues, idle issue was from a previous owner screwing with the stop on the tb linkage so it didnt close properly.
          1990 325i 5spd

Comment

i would like to note that i had a similar problem and the cause of it was my icv causing an idle to sit at about 1500 when cold and 1000 at running temp which caused dieseling my fix was an old fix i had drilled a hole in a penny and put it in the icv hose where it meets the icv and it fixed it. by limiting the airflow to it regardless of what the screw was set at.

Comment

Working...
            X