Now An Electrical Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now An Electrical Fire

so i took the jump pack to her to see if that would turn the starter motor. when i put it on the starter motor it worked perfect but when i put the jumper onto the battery and tryed to start it then . . . smoke. from behind the alt (the wires that runs down to the oil pump mounted to the top of the sump)

Could this be caused by an alt not being wired correctly? anyone got a diagrams or pics of how it should be wired?
    Is there anything I should Look for?
    Last edited by joshe320i; 11-13-2011, 08:11 PM.

Whoops. If you're positive you have all the wires hooked up right, might be the voltage regulator that is fried. Take your alternator to a parts store that has one of the machines that tests them under load.

I think those wires are just for the oil pan level sensor. Might be wrong though. Oil pumps are generally gear driven.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
      Whoops. If you're positive you have all the wires hooked up right, might be the voltage regulator that is fried. Take your alternator to a parts store that has one of the machines that tests them under load.

I think those wires are just for the oil pan level sensor. Might be wrong though. Oil pumps are generally gear driven.

cant be positive of anything with this car anymore.

Comment

could it be the ground strap off the sump/engine not getting a good connection?

Comment

The smoke release when you tried to jump the car at the battery makes me think that you had the polarity reversed. Electrically it would make no difference whether the cables were connected in the engine bay or at the battery.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

red to positive!

black to negative or engine ground!

Comment

Fun fact: When polarity is reversed when connecting high current charging/boosters to the battery, the first spot problems show is usually the alternator. It's full of diodes that make a handy short when you wire it backwards.

Semiconductors are nice in that they helpfully indicate a shorted condition typically by catching fire.
              -Dave
              2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
              X