Larger oil cooler for M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larger oil cooler for M20

I looking for any info on adding a larger (or more efficient) oil cooler on a '89 M20 engine. Currently I have the stock cooler on, but after this past week at O'fest, it's limits are showing up. Oil temps were getting high and it just couldn't keep up.

Anyone played with anything better?

Jeff B.
    1989 325i (Spec E30)
    Roanoke, VA
    Jeff B.
    Roanoke, VA
    1989 325i Track/Race prepared
    2000 328Ci Daily Driver
    1989 325i being restored
    1987 325is being stripped for parts

I am very happy with the fluidyne oil cooler I installed. I am not running ac or a front aux fan so it fits perfect in front of the radiator. Even with a turbo, my track oil temps are nice and cool.

Here is a link to the site I purchased from: http://www.absoluteradiator.com/engineoilcoolers.asp
    (18 X 12.25 X 1)

You can get 22mm to an10 adapters from Pegasus racing to use your exisiting oil filter housing.

Your one stop source for auto racing parts, equipment and supplies. Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies carries the largest in-stock selection. Check us out today!

Forgive the messyness!

Comment

big.

Comment

but why? I run my car on the autobahn for long periods of time at max rpm, and the car never even gets up to the midddle tic on temp. I think you have problems elsewhere. heck, the 2.0 M20 here in germany doesnt even come with an oil cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBij
          I looking for any info on adding a larger (or more efficient) oil cooler on a '89 M20 engine. Currently I have the stock cooler on, but after this past week at O'fest, it's limits are showing up. Oil temps were getting high and it just couldn't keep up.

Anyone played with anything better?

Jeff B.
          1989 325i (Spec E30)
          Roanoke, VA
          How hot is hot? I always keep my car at hight rpm. It seems the most is only 110 to 120 degree celcious with the stock oil cooler. And I believe there is some thermostat at the oil filter housing to control the temperature.. not sure though...

mikeedler, the coolant temp has nothing to do with the oil temp. They are not raise and drop at the same time...
          Best Regards,
          OO=[][]=OO
          Calvin Tan
          Eurocar Motorsport - automobile Technik
          www.EurocarMotorsport.com
          www.geocities.com/calvintan_e30

Comment

Larger Oil cooler for M20

Originally posted by Calvin Tan
            How hot is hot? I always keep my car at hight rpm. It seems the most is only 110 to 120 degree celcious with the stock oil cooler. And I believe there is some thermostat at the oil filter housing to control the temperature.. not sure though...

mikeedler, the coolant temp has nothing to do with the oil temp. They are not raise and drop at the same time...

I was running at VIR and the oil temp (at the oil pan) was spiking upwards of 265 degrees F. Air temp that day was in the mid 90's and the track temp was well over 105 with very low humidity.

I did check the thermostat on the filter housing thinking that it wasn't allowing flow to the cooler. It was working and the lines and cooler were hot.

It's not hard to run the temps up when your consistantly in the 6000+ rpm range. Managed to hit 127mph on the back straight (uphill) with a 4:10 diff. Ran out of revs before ran out of track. (Yeah!)
            Jeff B.
            Roanoke, VA
            1989 325i Track/Race prepared
            2000 328Ci Daily Driver
            1989 325i being restored
            1987 325is being stripped for parts

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler
              but why? I run my car on the autobahn for long periods of time at max rpm, and the car never even gets up to the midddle tic on temp. I think you have problems elsewhere. heck, the 2.0 M20 here in germany doesnt even come with an oil cooler.
              you dont think the climate difference has anything to do with that? We have 40 degree days here with road temps above the mid 50's (thats 130 degrees for you americans), you dont think thats a little different than what you would normally drive on?
              Just a little project im working on
              - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

what are you talking about? you can effectively drop coolant temp with an oil cooler
                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt
                  what are you talking about? you can effectively drop coolant temp with an oil cooler
                  You are not suppose to drop or increase the coolant temp and it should keep in the middle. If you have a good cooling system for the coolant. It will stay in the middle no matter the oil temp fluctuate in between 70 to 120 degree celcious...
                  Best Regards,
                  OO=[][]=OO
                  Calvin Tan
                  Eurocar Motorsport - automobile Technik
                  www.EurocarMotorsport.com
                  www.geocities.com/calvintan_e30

Comment

You are not suppose to drop or increase the coolant temp and it should keep in the middle. If you have a good cooling system for the coolant. It will stay in the middle no matter the oil temp fluctuate in between 70 to 120 degree celcious...
                    well thats great if youre a blue haired old lady driving a taurus down to the piggly wiggly for tv dinners
                    but actually do a few mods to your car and drive it like its meant to be driven and watch your temp gauge climb. add FI and then what?? shut it off and sit in the paddock until your little gauge comes down to the middle again?. real world experience tells me my oil cooler allows me to drive my car balls out on a 100 degree day at 7200 rpm all day long. and i didnt read that on a message board
                    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunt
                      and i didnt read that on a message board
                      Oh snap!

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Working...
                      X