'88 auto won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 auto won't start.

Just yesterday my '88 auto ran fine. Last night and this morning it will not start. I have replaced a lot of things over the last yr. or so. Like the fuel pump, fpr, fuel filter, batt., fuel tank, relays, fusible link, etc.

The weird thing now, is that there is fuel coming out from the front of the AFM. I have looked in my Haynes book, and on r3v, but I have not seen anything like this.

Can someone point me in the right direction, cause I'm drawing blanks here.

Thanks.
    '02 Outback wagon
    '87 325is 5sp
    '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Originally posted by pharow View Post
    fuel coming out from the front of the AFM.
    Weird.

Have you checked the CPS? Maybe tap the main relay?

COTM

Comment

No, not yet. I just went and bought a new meter. So i will check that in a lil bit.

I know. It is weird.
      '02 Outback wagon
      '87 325is 5sp
      '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
        Weird.

Have you checked the CPS? Maybe tap the main relay?
        That's where your mind goes first?

Pull the vac line off the FPR and crank it. if fuel spurts out of the vac line, the FPR has died.

if the FPR died, take off the fuel filler cap and make sure the return line didn't clog somehow (don't bust a 2nd one).

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Pull the vacuum line to the FPR. If there is fuel in the vacuum line, then your FPR is bad and is causing the fuel in your AFM as well as your other issues.

Edit: Beaten by a minute. ^^

Comment

I pulled the vacuum line, annnnnd...yep fuel came out of it. Thanks guys. I will be replaceing the FPR soon.

Now, how do I go about making sure the return line is not clogged?
            '02 Outback wagon
            '87 325is 5sp
            '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Blow into it with the filler cap off. if you can (relatively easily - like inflating a balloon - not always easy, but possible) push air, you should be OK. if you have an aneurism, something might be off. Assuming you CAN push air in, you'll still have to displace all the fuel in the line before it gets easy.

Happened to a friend who had a beater iX once. he put on a new FPR and same problem. turned out something (probably rust) was blocking the return line. he temped it by running fuel line on the outside back into the tank. :(

Comment

Cool. I replaced the FPR, and my car started right up. No blockage that I could tell.

Thanks.
                '02 Outback wagon
                '87 325is 5sp
                '93 Kawasaki ZR1100

Comment

Sweet. I love it when problems are as simple as they appear to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X