Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seta to i clutch & flywheel + CPS & 173?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

seta to i clutch & flywheel + CPS & 173?

Hey everyone! Been lurking on here for a while after buying my first E30 (alpine 85 eta) last year - just sold it and bought an 88 schwarz SETA with 171k. Car is MOSTLY well maintained mechanically, came with a Bentley and lots of records. Needs new paint, but the interior looks awesome. Performance-wise, my plan is to do an upgrade to i components and good n/a bolt-ons, then think about FI in a year or two.

PO installed a 4.10 LSD and Bilstein/H&R sports, which do good things for the car, but I can feel a lot of slack in the drivetrain. More importantly, the clutch has started dragging - when it's really cold, I have to start it in gear. Shifts better, but with effort engaging, once warmed up.

I'm aware this could simply be hydraulic, and I'll be changing those components as well, but I'd rather just get everything solid at once. SO, what I'm thinking is of swapping in a 325i flywheel & clutch combo, with a front-mount CPS and a 173. This is why I'm posting - want to be sure this combo would work. I know I'd have to watch the revs until I upgrade to double valvesprings. But I'm told the 173 should plug right in, and the front-mount CPS should eliminate the need for a flywheel reference tab. Correct? Anything else I would need?

Normally I'd put the other i components on along with the Motronic upgrade - I'm well aware that this would be ideal. But if it would allow me to run an i clutch & flywheel, I might as well do it now while addressing the drivetrain before moving on to the engine itself soon. Will also be replacing SI board batteries / swapping in a 7k tach, installing a SSK, a guibo/CSB refresh, and changing lots of bushings and mounts to urethane. PO did good basic maintenance, and this is definitely the car for me - just need to get everything locked down and clicking... as opposed to clunking.

While we're at it, anyone got an i flywheel or a 173 for sale? eBay is cool too, but I figured I'd check. Going with a Pelican Parts SuperKit on the clutch itself. Looking for the other i components a seta can benefit from as well, but I won't get into what, as that has been covered before. If you've got any of that stuff sitting around, I will be in the market soon.

Sorry for the epistle, just wanted to explain the situation. Also, look forward to seeing all you DMV r3vvers at a meet soon!
    Last edited by dAv3; 02-13-2012, 10:14 AM. Reason: humor

Timing data on a SuperETA is via the front mounted CPS and Cylinder ID sensor on the #6 plug wire. So you can use the M20B25 flywheel & clutch with no further modifications. Stuffing a 173 DME without the rest of the M20B25 parts would be a bad idea. The maps in the 173 won't match up to the engine's needs.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks for the info Jim. Because I thought the M20B25 was single mass and the 2.7 was dual, it seemed as though a temporary "ghettotronic" upgrade with a CPS and 173 DME might make a flywheel conversion simpler.

Seeing as how that isn't necessarily the case, I guess my real question is - as a SETA owner, what's the best OEM way for me to go to a lighter single-mass flywheel while I'm replacing the clutch?

Comment

Just use the flywheel and clutch for an M20B25 engine. The nice thing about your SuperETA is that it doesn't use the flywheel timing sensors.

Comment

Yeah, that obviously simplifies things. I think I may be going with this combo:

Clutch Super Kit $404.90. Call (310)626-8765. May Qualify For FREE SHIPPING. Parts# 07129903984 11142245364 11211709934 11227805885 11761711717 21211223102 21511202659 21511204327 21521153513 21521157212 23121209311 23128677736 PEL SKCKE30 05N PEL.SKCKE30.05N PELSKCKE3005N. 325is, 325i.

Comment

If you want a lightweight flywheel, get the Bimmerworld kit (http://store.bimmerworld.com/e30-325...kit-p1071.aspx). It will wind up about the same cost as what you were looking at and the parts are first class.

Be aware that a lightweight flywheel may (probably will) result in "getrag rattle" when the car is in neutral and the clutch is engaged. Not a problem on a track or race car but it can be irritating on a street car.

Comment

Thanks again - I think I'll take your advice. Looks like it'll be the clutch job, SSK, guibo + CSB, and engine/trans/diff mounts in the next several weeks.

Good to finally be on the forum! I really appreciate the informative welcome. Will post again once I get things "gutentight"

Comment

Working...
              X