Miller maf with stock airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miller maf with stock airbox

Who here is running a miller maf with stock airbox? Im going to buying it at the end of the month and was thinking if it is worth to spend the extra 75$ on the adapter, or just buy a 30$ k&n filter and put it on?

Here is what I think
    pros w/box: clean engine bay, not hot air intake
    cons: don't get the nice induction sound, "maybe" less throttle response??

pros w/filter: nice loud sound, not hot air intake if I build my own heat shield,
    and "maybe" more throttle response (not really sure)...
    cons: not clean oem bay, hot air intake if i do not get the shield done.

Third option: Wait longer and buy the kamotors intake at the same time (extra 130$)

Overall, Im willing to keep the oem box if there is an increase in induction sound. If not, then perhaps I will take the intake/sheild root,

Let me know what you think. Especially those using a miller with oem airbox.
    Thanks in advance.

G.Verelli

I did a little test to see if there was a percievable difference. Month ago or so I took a 4 hour drive to Houghton, Mi and back.

On the way there, I had the stock airbox with the adapter and a K&N filter in it. Averaged 24 mpg.
    On the way back, I had a large K&N Filter attached directly to the MAF. Averaged 25mpg, and noticed a difference in power (more).

With the stock airbox, you still get the nice growling sound. Throttle response is no different.

But, without the airbox, it's a LOT louder and maybe 3-4 more hp, even with hot air. Especially in the midrange.

My advice, Take the $75 and put it to the KAmotors intake setup. What I did is by no means the end all or very scientific, but it is what I percieved. I was really hoping the stock airbox would prove to be more power with the colder air, but it felt the opposite to me. As a quick cheap test, I'm going to pick up some PVC to test out if I run about 6-8" of pipe and get the filter right behind the headlights. See what that does too. Changing the material to look better if it does help. But at the very least, I would not recommend the stock airbox adapter.

I was planning on using the gopro to do a little "Here's how they sound" for you guys too. One with the stock box, one with the filter attached directly. Using an external mic, of course.

You can see my big ass K&N Filter attached to it on the top of this picture.

Last edited by TurboJake; 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Thanks for that excellence response, an actual back to back test is as good as it gets. If that is the case then the filter will be my option, I'll be honest though I was hoping for the stock airbox to work better as well, but still had a feeling the sound wasnt going to be the same.
      If you ever get the chance to do those videos post them up, should be interesting. It's funny because as much as people say avoid the hot air intake, 95% of people have them in the official engine bay thread, only the small 5% actually make a heat shield, I figured if I bought just the cone alone, Id probably become too lazy and join the top 95%
      That why I think I will do the kamotors option, he mentioned with the large duct upfront in the grill, i can just dremel a bit of grill to get more direct flow, I think this is an unbeatable option.

G.Verelli

Comment

I have something as a little video I can post up. When I got the gopro for christmas I put it on the roof, or the hood. One of those... and it caught the intake growl clear as day with the filter directly attached. I didn't floor it for long (I would hate to make a cop pull me over on christmas).

EDIT: I got nothin.

I might make something tomorrow, maybe. It's supposed to rain. Been meaning to pick up an AT Pro24CM for it anyways. Might have to get on that.
        Last edited by TurboJake; 03-06-2012, 11:06 PM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Ah ok, no worries, there is no rush

G.Verelli

Comment

I bought a $9.99 shipped MAF adapter from ebay. 15 mins with a dremel, and I use the stock airbox with the Miller Maf. I wanted OEM look, could care less about sound or a perceivable few horsepower.
            sigpic
            Parts Wanted
            The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

Originally posted by blocke View Post
              I bought a $9.99 shipped MAF adapter from ebay. 15 mins with a dremel, and I use the stock airbox with the Miller Maf. I wanted OEM look, could care less about sound or a perceivable few horsepower.
              pix?

Comment

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                pix?
                I'll take some today. Basically it just required me trimming the bottom 2 corners, and a few milimeters from the bottom edge so that it would fit. The pre-drilled holes line up just fine to the OE AFM location.
                All you need is new bolts/nuts and a 2.7inch silicone coupling to mate the airbox/adpater to the MAF.

I painted mine black so it looks OEM, less eye catching come smog time.
                sigpic
                Parts Wanted

Comment

As promised:

Notice the corners were trimmed.

And attached to airbox:
                  sigpic
                  Parts Wanted

Comment

I can make you a good deal on an intake if you want;) all the benefits of a sealed unit with a larger duct to outside air. compact,looks great, and lightwieght(entire setup weighs less than a cone filter w/heatsheild) .

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                    X